Thursday, July 26, 2007

Why won't people let Everything mean Something?

Practitioners of Global Warming are currently touting new reports that Las Vegas has never been hotter. Temperature hotter, not rhapsodically hotter.

If you ask one of these practitioners about the record setting low temperatures in Australia this year, you get no response. If you mention the freakish Peruvian cold snap, you get no response. If you point out that there is evidence that Greenland used to have a Club Med location, you get no response.

But shouldn't each and every 'fact' mean something?

Yea and verily, I tell you that 'facts' are the devil's playthings when a person gets away with picking and choosing which 'facts' are the foundation of his faith.

If you can't work every fact into your system of belief, don't have a system of belief. When you can work every fact into your system of belief, that's a good start, but be prepared, because new facts are always emerging, like bubbles in a Mexican's bathtub.

5 comments:

paperback reader said...

That's why the kids are so hot on the nihilism these days - it's pretty easy to understand and apply to any set of facts.

Leonesse said...

Amen, Brother Bert.

T said...

All of the best bull-shitters in the world specialize in "arranging" facts and/or skewing the truth, -as long as it helps out 'numero-uno'.

A so-called "environmental-expert" was recently quoted as saying "if we (meaning the U.S.A.) don't do something radical today, to change our ways of fuel usage, to stop global warming, -we'll all be doomed".

Geez, it's not like he wanted to use scare tactics or anything. That can only be a job-security statement, because no credible person could make such an idiotic blanket implication, unless the other wackos who back him are the same ones that sponsor his research (for their benefit).

Jana said...

The way to stop fuel usage is to park the cars... how many fat lazy Americans are willing to do that? Get on a BIKE??? OH MY GOD NO, NO, NO!!! WALK!! But, I couldn't wear my Birks and WALK!!! Where would I put my Latte??!!!
I was a teenager during the Iran crisis of the early 80's and clearly remember the gas shortages and the yellow ribbons for the hostages. My bumper sticker (on the car I drove to school) said "I didn't drive today, I-RAN"...
Ahh... the good, old days..

paperback reader said...

Um, bikes are all well and good, but some people I know (me) need to commute 30 miles each way to a small town not serviced by public transportation.

Plus, I can't ride a bike.