Thursday, July 19, 2007

What if you could get married by lease or month to month?

Right, I'm aware that this can only be considered if there are no off-spring. And yes, I know your second question is, "people who are living together are essentially already 'leased' to each other, or living in a month to month relationship, so why bother with legalities?"

"Why bother with legalities...?" For those of you who actually consider this a rational question, bend yourselves over your knees and paddle your asses till at least one cheek is a soft rosy color, because you've asked a very, very terrible question!

Just think about it: Where would we be without lawyers?

But back to the marriage by lease or month to month agreement... Right now if you're living together, you can't inherit from your mate's estate if he/she dies intestate. Instead, a bunch of Common Law hooey kicks in and the next thing you know, some of his/her relatives are going through Katrocket's apartment asking her if this is her jockstrap, or through Pistolero's apartment asking him if this is his satin nightie. (Turns out it wasn't Kat's jockstrap, but Pistolero had the receipt to prove he bought the satin nightie at Blutto's Big & Tall, and it was, after all, a size 18.)

With a marriage lease, or month to month agreement, the Common Law gets it's dentures kicked in. And then there are the stipulations that can be written into the lease/agreement, items that a couple might put into their vows, but vows aren't binding. You can take a marriage lease into court and either mandate enforcement or receive monetary compensation: either she has to give him his 'birthday present' or pay for a licensed professional to give him his birthday present.

And it could just as easily work to the female's advantage, but speaking as a male who is truly sensitive to the needs of women, and who knows that 'happy women' are contented women and put out more, I can't imagine, even for a second, what a woman would want me to do that I wouldn't already have done on my own.





(In the history of bullshit, that last sentence is a contender for, if not a prize, at least Honorable Mention. Thank you.)

11 comments:

paperback reader said...

A size 18! I haven't been able to wear a size 18 since college, when I was thinner and very, very confused.

I like this plan very much, however, because men will always be happier if we feel like we have a solid out.

Jana said...

That's my size 18 sweetie, and I want it back especially if its the black spaghetti strap one. You put my mind back on the thought process about such things as the living together relationship I'm in with Chris. In the event I kick off before him, the small sad estate of mine - the car, the house, the inclusions, would all go to my daughter. Though Chris has put his sweat and blood into this house - she could take it all, sell it, pocket the money and leave him homeless. So I intend for us to legally tie the knot so he gets his half in the event I die first. See - I'm 8 years older, and the house is in my name as I bought it before he came along. As for a month-to-month lease, I hate the idea, have to pack and move and pack and move, no thanks!! Moving SUCKS!!!
Men don't want a solid out, they want an agreed upon set of days and times for sex, sandwiches and sports. =-).

Nessa said...

Those Pagans (no, not the gang, but those heathens) know what they are doing once again. Marriage is contracted for a year and a day and then renegotiated, with offspring or not.

T said...

If it's a lease like a car's lease, where you only get to "drive it" for only x-amount of miles, then no, because I want to drive that thing into the ground so no one else will even want it after I'm done with it.

If it's like a house or business lease then yes, why not? The only problem with a house lease is you can't modify the home until you buy it (which is a bummer because we all know houses get run down and need boob-jobs, -I mean their plumbing fixed and chimneys rebuilt), but you or I can always walk away once we're done with 'em.

To my wife: "Honey, I Love You, and I would never want your chimney rebuilt."

paperback reader said...

Well, I'm a man, and I want a solid out. I view relationships the way that Jason Bourne views a restaurant in those movies - "There's a front door, a back door, and an exit through the kitchen, and if things get really bad, that big man in the fourth booth looks like he has a gun."

katrocket said...

I have no idea how you found out about my jockstrap collection.

I was in a common-law relationship once. We may not be together anymore, but it all worked out quite smoothly in the end, seeing as neither of us had anything the other person wanted.

The Guv'ner said...

I think the hard part kicks in when you have to dissect the dog...

And wait, I'm confused: either she has to give him his 'birthday present' or pay for a licensed professional to give him his birthday present. You can PAY someone to give your husband socks and a tie?

katrocket said...

zing! ha ha ha! Guv-nah!!

Leonesse said...

Kat, wouldn't it be better if you realized neither had anything the other wanted right from the beginning?

katrocket said...

If it was that easy, Leonesse, divorce would cease to exist. To be fair, he had all the thing I really wanted, right from the beginning. It just took several years to discover all the little things I didn't want, like womanizing and alcoholism.

Julian said...

This is an interesting idea that seems to be getting some discussion at various blogs in the last few days. We at The MarriageLease(tm)think this could actually work to lower the divorce rate, though we do not agree with a day-to-day or month-to-month lease but a period of no more than 7 years. After this point you either dissolve the marriage as previously agreed to do so or you decide to renew and stay together because now you know that both of you are willing to work to make the marriage work. The marriage lease... www.TheMarriageLease.blogspot.com