Friday, July 13, 2007

Battling on the Homefront

I have my problems with McDonald's, but obviously since I continue to patronize their outlets (especially for breakfast) I'm dealing with it. Right now I am fighting my way up the corporate ladder with regard to the pricing structure with regard to the Deluxe Big Breakfast. Here are the salient points:

1. There is no menu available; all you can reference is their 'tote board.'

2. The tote board says Deluxe Big Breakfast, $3.99.

3. There is no mention about a beverage.

4. But when you order it, you are asked, "coffee or orange juice?" The $3.99 price includes a small coffee or an orange juice.

5. I discovered the 'Senior Soda' a few months ago. It's a small soda for $.49, and I was substituting the Senior Soda for the offered beverage, and paying the same $3.99.

6. Recently a Caucasian female in a manager's outfit was looking over the shoulder of one of the young girls at the register. I placed my regular order and the girl was keying it in when the manager said that I couldn't have a Senior Soda with the Deluxe Breakfast at the $3.99 price. I had to pay for a regular soda, which was extra. No matter what I said, wailed, lamented, begged, cried, she wouldn't see my points, that A. since I'd been getting that price for months, she was estopped from changing an established procedure, and that B., a small soda was the same amount of liquid, and probably cheaper for them, as a small coffee.

Knowing human nature as I do, I knew that I was only arguing for the fun of it. She would NEVER back down. So I walked out. I stood outside looking in and when she went to the back, I went back in and ordered. After I got my food, she came back out and became wroth herself when she found out what I'd done. Since then she watches for me.

But I outfoxed her, which is hardly worthy of any credit, since she is underpaid and overworked and has, literally, zero incentive to battle with me. Now when she's there, I order the Deluxe Breakfast with a small coffee and then dump the coffee and fill the cup at the self-service fountain with yummy Diet Coke, no ice. Yummers!

But I am protesting the situation and I've had discussions with the office of the local franchisee and the District Franchise Director, in San Bernardino. No one wants to see my point of view, which I totally understand, but this is helping prepare me for my position of Town Council Gadfly, which I will occupy once I am allowed to retire. The Town Council meets in the evenings, so it won't interfere with golf.

5 comments:

paperback reader said...

What a day it was when I realized the McDonald's 4 piece nuggets were 99 cents, and the 6 piece nuggets were over $2. That scam lasted for a good five years before those brilliant economists figured it out.

McDonald's menus now are amazingly devoid of words, which is helpful when you're in other countries, but kind of sad when you're in your own.

Jana said...

What's even more sad is the bi-lingual workers, which is for whom the pictures are displayed. All one need do is grunt and point. As for me, I don't give any money to fast food establishments or the soda pop conglomerates.

T said...

Bert, take one for your team. Order from that mean, sixteen year ol' manager you've so outwitted, get the coffee (after another argument of course) and "inadvertently" spill it on yourself.

Damn, you could get a lot of Diet Cokes and pancakes after that settlement.

The Guv'ner said...

Wow. Woe betide the beeyotch who stands between me and my morning Diet Pepsi whether they be a whiny office worker or a big, golden arches type of franchise.

My friend asked the same establishment of which you speak, for a Big Mac with no tomato one day and they wouldn't do it. You HAVE to have the tomato. It doesn't matter that you're having LESS food or that it's a small request, it's that they can't make it without the tomato or someone, somewhere would be confused and probably end up crying in a corner because they couldn't get the lid off their Xanax and the world would tilt.

When I was in Hungary, Burger King advertised a "veggie whopper" on their menu, way before such a thing existed here, making little vegetarian me jump for joy. What it actually was, was a veggie-LESS whopper because it was a bun filled with lettuce, tomato and mayonnaise with he whopper left off.

It was still good.

The Guv'ner said...

And how come Senior Soda when said out loud, sounds like a Mexican drug lord?