Sunday, July 01, 2007

It's a Lie, a Scandalous Lie!

Friday morning I got a call from an acquaintance. He'd entered a golf tournament with one of his partners. The partner wasn't going to make it back in town in time for the tournament, the next day, and did I want to fill in. Using that same breath, he continued, "Everything's paid for, it won't cost you a thing." So what could I do?

I had to call Bill to let him know about backing out of Saturday morning golf, but it hit me: I'd be seeing him at 2:00 p.m. and LA Royal Vista golf course. It's always nicer to see people's faces when you've got news that elevates you above them for whatever reason.

But it turns out he had the best of it.

The tournament was at Barona Creek Golf Club, down near San Diego. Their website says they are rated the fifth best public access golf course. Their website lied. A lie on the scale of "wettng the bed is better than sex," or "Politics is an honorable profession."

When I got to my acquaintance's house, his daughter's boy friend was there. He was dressed for golf and mentioned that he'd golfed a number of times at Barona Creek. I laughingly asked if I was losing out by having given up a game at Hidden Valley to go to Barona Creek. He dropped the pleasant smile and frowned at me. "You had a tee time at Hidden Valley and you gave it up for Barona Creek?" I nodded my head. He started shaking his head.

The day went downhill (downhell?) from there.

But I survived. I won't ever bother to play that course again. So now you've been warned. (Another in an increasingly longer line of things for which to thank the internet.)

3 comments:

T said...

So you're saying Barona rates: slightly below, below or way the hell below Wolf Creek? You mean to tell me I can't believe what Kenny Rogers says in TV commercials AND what's on the internet. Oh, holy country music lord, I've been let down again.

I can recall at least four times, where I've experienced the same golfing occurrence. Nothing pisses me off more, -except when the wife lies (to me) about the upcoming evening's "fun".

Nessa said...

If I played golf, I'd thank you profusely. How was the bar?

paperback reader said...

Let's face facts - Kenny Rogers' face (now 78% post-consumer products) is stretched far too tightly to allow him the gift of sight. You could put him at an Old Country Buffet, and he'd declare it one of the best golf courses in the U.S.A.