Thursday, July 03, 2008

Yesterday I was in Lancaster, Today I'm in Love

But before I went to Lancaster, I was at Cedar Sinai Hospital. Despite having lived SoCal the majority of my life, I'd never been there before. It's a little city unto itself. It ought to come as no surprise that the parking lots convenient to the hospital charge a fortune: $6 per 15 minutes, $20 maximum. Imagine the expense if you left your motor running!

But I don't pay those prices. I just drove around until I found a parking space. AND it had time still on the meter! SCORE!! It was only 25 cents per 15 minutes. I was only four blocks from the hospital

(What was I doing there at Cedar Sinai? I can't tell you... I promised her I'd keep it a secret. Who is "her"? I can't tell you that because if you knew who it was, you'd probably guess the secret and her career would be over... you know how it is...)

When I was walking back to my vehicle I was people watching. This is the Westside of LA and the inhabitants are, in the majority, Beautiful People. Many of these Beautiful People were out doing Beautiful People Things. I saw a valet parking sign in front of not even a very trendy bistro that said valet service was $6.50, which would be added to the bill. But you just know that the sweating valets still get some cash applied to their palms. It's not like they don't have their fair share of McDonalds, et al.

And then I saw her! Female caucasian, mid-30s, 5'4" tall, a bit chunky (I hope she reads this...) a reddish tinge to her darkish blonde hair, which was half in a pony tail and half just hanging loose, blue, skin-tight sort of capri-ish pants, sandals and a sleeveless blouse, walking alone at a furious pace, animatedly arguing with, seemingly, thin air. And she was arguing loudly. Of course she was on her hands-free cell phone.

Anyone else but a Beautiful Person would probably have not been conducting the argument so publicly. Non-Beautiful People mostly don't try to be a local center of attention. (Great name for a Mall! Center of Attention!) She caught up and passed me. As she did so, I tried to offer some support: "All right, you go girl, give'm hell!" She turned and looked at me, but her facial expression didn't change. I couldn't see her eyes because of the dark glasses. (Maybe she only had one eye, so I should have said, I couldn't see her eye...?) I wasn't wearing dark glasses. So she could see that I was bemused. She quickly turned to look forward. And I swear to All Mighty/Blighty/Flighty Ghawd that I heard her say, "What? No, that was just some freak talking to me..."

Me, "some freak..." How did she know?

1 comment:

paperback reader said...

Sadly, to them, every person is just "some freak" unless they can get them a walk-on role.