Sunday, July 13, 2008

Syllable Technician Wanted

When I saw this ad headline, I almost stopped my eyes to focus on the body of the ad. But then I stopped the stopping. I'm too old to start over.

I think I would have been a wonderful Syllable Technician. I think I could even have been a Syllable Master Technician! Had I started in Syllable technology back 35 years ago instead of curb painting, I would probably now be a revered elder Syllable Technician-statesman!

I would be the driving force behind Syllables.Com and the people at Words.com would be biting their nails, wondering what I would have to say about new words.

Take for instance the words "Crotchular" and "Intensier." These are recent inventions. Obviously those pious nut-cases at Words.Com (Did you know they petitioned ICANN to create the .god suffix class, for websites in charge of important issues? Insufferable creeps wanted Words.God !) would find fault with crotchular & intensier, declaring them invalid and unacceptable.

But if there were a Syllables.Com, those words would have been championed. After all, words are not absolutes. (Syllables are! Syllables are comprised of all, ALL, the short utterances the human mouth is capable of forming/emitting.) Since there have been humans, there have been syllables. Words only came to exit when two people first agreed that a certain vocalization meant something. So for Words.Com to say that crotchular is not a word is the height of folly. And I couldn't be more intensier.

Thank you.

3 comments:

paperback reader said...

I still have to tap on a desk to sound out syllables, which I believe is frowned upon at the professional level.

katrocket said...

haha Pistols!

Okay, the comment I had isn't that funny now, so I'll catch ya later.

The Guv'ner said...

If you want to know about syllables, ask a Welsh person. Their place names have about 45 of them! And virtually no vowels. I think something fishy is going on there.