Saturday, July 12, 2008

Moot U.

For the vast majority of us, the word 'moot' exists only as a predicate nominative, as in "the issue is moot." Most predicate nominatives are nouns. But moot is really quite the transitive verb! As in when you're having sex, it's best to be transitive, not intransitive.

The most striking use of the verb, to moot, is when it is used with regard to a person. Because I'm writing this post, within six months you will see this usage in a major motion picture (I don't appeal to indie people, apparently) or a major network comedy series. What you will hear is one character tell another character something like, "Want me to moot you?" Or, "How'd you like to wind up moot?" Or, "Hey, boss, you want I should moot him?"

So there ya go. Don't feel left out. Someday all of us will be moot. The Moot U. refers to the fact that my college education and degree became moot within three years of my graduation, so in a sense, and many of you will share in this distinction, I might as well have attended Moot U.

In a totally unrelated story, let me share with you the knowledge I recently gained: It is possible to search for a name, for example, Wanda Phsuggs, on Google, and have Google tell you that there are no hits, and could you possibly have meant Wanda Psuggs? When you acknowledge this possibility, Google then searches and then within .045 seconds tells you that there are no hits for Wanda Psuggs. Why didn't Google just tell me, "If in searching for Wanda Phsuggs, you actually meant Wanda Psuggs, there are no hits for her either"? I would have saved just over .045 seconds and mooted the second search!

No comments: