Wednesday, August 13, 2008

I'm Old Enough to Remember When You Didn't Have to Know Much or Do Much

As a Future Fossil of America, I am way old enough to remember how little a person had to know, or do, to get by in life. Was that a better time? How the heck would I know? I'm still doing my best not to know or do much.


I remember when there was only AM radio.

I remember when there was only 13 possible TV channels.

I remember when I only had one possible phone number. And if I couldn't reach a person by phone, I only had two alternatives, a telegram or a letter.

I remember when doctors made house calls.

I remember when there was no welfare. You youngsters can't even begin to figure out how that would work...

I remember when teachers and school administrators spanked kids to keep order in schools. If that didn't work, they kicked yer ass out.

I remember when pregnant teenagers (girls, for the most part) would go away, have the baby, give it up for adoption and then come back to school like nothing had happened.

I remember when getting a whittling kit for my birthday was the coolest thing EVER!

I remember when all a kid needed to have fun was a door to the outside.

I remember when retirement meant living with one of your kids.

I remember when you could cure whatever you caught from having sex.

I remember when sex was only face to face. Seriously, that's the way it was way back then!!

It boils down to me having to stuff more information in my brain on a daily basis than my grandparents had to store in their brains in a year. And I can't keep up! If you think you're keeping up, then you're not getting enough sleep.

8 comments:

Anonymous said...

I only grew up with 2 channels. Well, three, but the third one barely came in, so you'd only watch it for important TV shows where you could tolerate the fuzz and noise because the show was THAT good. Like Alf, for example.

Leonesse said...

I remember bringing home a vcr and how cool it was to have Pong.

Egads I am getting old.

vq said...

My dad wouldn't get a color tv. He thought it was a fad that wasn't going to catch on.

Dr Zibbs said...

I remember when we got a hot air popper. It's was great new technology

Anonymous said...

I grew up with three channels then four (in 1982 we got Channel 4) and my dad worked for a VCR rental place when VCRs were new so we had a giant, house-sized unit with like...piano keys and a remote that attached by a cord. Awesome. I remember Betamax too!

And I had one of those big round orange balls with a face, that you sit on and bounce. OK I'm ALREADY aware that sounds ALL wrong...

Leonesse said...

I had some fun on those hippity-hops myself, guv. Shhh, don't tell someone.

Falwless said...

Okay, listen, seriously. I'm getting sort of tired of your funny comments all over everyone's blogs. Could you please stop making me laugh aloud here at my desk? Seriously. It's becoming ridiculous. I'm blogrolling you, so that you can be in my exclusive club of daily hamster-wheel procrastination. You're welcome, baby, you're welcome.

paperback reader said...

What's "radio," old man?