Thursday, August 28, 2008

I sane, We sane, Usain Bolt



I submit to you that Usain Bolt is a better fast runner than Michael Phelps is a fast swimmer.

If the Olympics had eight races Bolt could have run in, he would also have eight gold medals. And none of the races would have been close. There would be gaps between Bolt and second place long enough for Pistols to make love ... twice.

How come running doesn't have...?

100 meter backwards race
200 meter backwards race
100 meter sideways race
200 meter sideways race
400 meter medley backwards/sideways race

Add these to the Olympic racing menu and Bolt would absolutely look far and away the better performer.

You think a lifeguard does a medley of strokes when he or she is trying to save a swimmer? Anything but the free-style is a freak of let's-have-races-with-sillyass-strokes-so-coaches-and-human-aquariums-can-make-more-money nature. Although there will always be a place in my heart for the breast stroke...

This post is not intended to take anything away from Phelps, except the White, Euro-centric aura of invinceabilidility. (c'mon, invincebilidility is an awesome word!)

3 comments:

paperback reader said...

Maybe a crab walk?

And I make love like a bolt, and then I bolt immediately afterwards just as fast as that Bolt gent.

Falwless said...

I love the word invincibilidility. I'm going to use that a lot from now on.

Anonymous said...

I think that it was sheer divine intervention that gave a speed runner a name like Bolt. Imagine he'd been called Meander or Amble? He'd be screwed!