Sunday, August 10, 2008

Golf in the Time of Cholera, or, 100 Years of Golf



The Marriott Desert Springs Hotel & Spa is run by humans for humans, so things were up and down, which is what humans do best. Or most frequently.

That's me in the first photo and the view from my room in the second photo.




I never looked out at this view until I was leaving.








It was hot. And humid. 109 when we teed off on Wednesday afternoon. After we finally all dragged in, to shower and get ready for dinner, we then had the wonderful experience of walking out of the hotel and into the 101 degree darkness.

The next day it was cloudy and we got hit with a cloud burst. A cloud burst in 98 degree temperature. You get all wet and yet you're still hot.

I played terribly, but the price was right.

4 comments:

katrocket said...

Wow, it takes dedication to golf in weather that hot. I'd play terribly, too. In fact, I'd probably wither and pass out somewhere around the 7th hole.

Leonesse said...

I would recognize you anywhere!

And LK played 36 holes in 122 degree weather. Wussy.

T said...

It was a delightful 21 hours...

d said...

I love that place, I've stayed there twice.

Palm Springs is only fun for those who golf (which I do, badly), those who drink (which I do, very proficiently) and those who like to lay out and get as crispy tan as possible (I'm Italian, I love roasting). Otherwise, it sort of sucks.