Sunday, May 27, 2007

Intervention Time!

I am in favor of letting people do whatever they want, even if it ends of costing me money. Take for instance, motorcycle helmets. Those in 'authority' would tell me that when I say it doesn't matter to me whether someone wears a helmet or not that it really DOES matter to me, because if that M/C rider falls and cracks his skull and ends up a quintuplepalegic, I'm going to have to help pay for his care, in one way or another. And there is some merit to that argument. But I believe that I'll be paying taxes, and more taxes and even more taxes no matter how many men are saved from quintuplepalegia by being forced to wear helmets. So in the end, it's not going to cost me less money if they don't, or even 'more' money.

But now I have to take a stand. Big T called this morning, wanting to play golf. I called another friend, Ralph, and we have decided an intervention is required. We are going to meet Big T at Hesperia at 11:30 a.m. to try to get him to see that he just might be playing too much golf. We'll listen to his always well reasoned arguments, and if he can convince us that there is no such thing as too much golf (which he has successfully argued in the past) we will not force him to stop.

So if you have any thoughts on this subject, it would be good to hear from you, as the more input we get, the more likely we are to find Truth.

5 comments:

paperback reader said...

I know it's not your church, but I remember a Catholic priest telling me as a child that masturbation was only a sin once it started hindering your relationships with others. I look at most things this way now.

Bert Bananas said...

what if masturbation helped your relationship with others?

And does this theory hold true with any other solo activity, as in, _____ is only a sin once it starts hindering your relationship with others?

paperback reader said...

I'm not sure, because while I wanted to continue this theological debate, he wanted to make out. It's all Thorn Birds and horndogs in that church, I tells ya.

Since I've turned my back on the church, and then quickly turned around again once someone goosed me, forcing me to back away from it, I've extrapolated this advice to mean precisely what your second paragraph implies, but since that makes sense, it's probably against everything the church teaches.

Jana said...

Interesting coupla blogs there Bert! We were in the land of no-helmets-required for a while, and not only was I shocked!! by it because of the potential for leaving skull on pavement, but the rather disquieting affect of having bugs and rocks thrown into the riders face at 80+ miles per hour- yowch!! One particularly stunning acrobat was driving one-handed while signalling to we car-drivers that he was changing lanes - that's 3 lanes to the left at 90+ miles per hour. Mr. bald and beautiful had goggles on - shirtless and wearing jeans. Had he he pavement, surely they'd have been interested to find that pile of goo with goggles and tattered jeans on. My Uncles discussion is that it IS in fact the rider's right to helmet or not, NOT the state or the feds right to impose rules. I agree with you that I don't want to pay for someone's brain damaged body to sit for eons in a coma in the hospital. I wish fathers would think of their kids when they go biking sans helmet- remember how your kids would think if they found your pile of goo and goggles.
As for the Temple - they wouldn't let us heathens in -so we went out to the Bonneville Salt Flats and took pictures of the salt. Sorry you lost Elder Bowler...

T said...

The truth is as long as I have equity in my home and my wife enjoys her T-less time, I will not be golfing 'too much'.

Another note: How many more curbs have you gotten to paint because someone's brains ruined the edge, -and has that offset your tax liabilities?