Tuesday, May 15, 2007

Dummy

When I was in high school, and a Mormon, I didn't have sex. Well, not with another person, any way... Later, when I got back from my Mission, I learned that my high school main squeeze, Paul B, but not the Paula B who sometimes reads this blog, was GIVING IT AWAY while I was gone. I could have had me some of that!! Dummy...

I played Bridge in college. It was fun. And the first time you were the dummy you could start eating your pie. See, the four of us, me, my girlfriend and two of her roommates, would each buy a pie. And you could eat on your pie when you were the dummy. So there was a period, before that first marriage, that I was one fat dummy.

In 1981 I was "dating" a young lady from the office. She found someone "better" and dumped me. It was the second most grevious dump in my life. So I quit that job and didn't leave my apartment until February of 1982. I didn't even go home for Xmas. I had an answering service and I'd call it every day, just to hear another voice, even though the message was always the same, "You have no messages." I already knew that because I'd never been away from the phone. I didn't even take out the garbage for four months. When the manager would come to collect the rent, I'd just shove the check under the door. I'd spend the day reading the bible, backwards, and playing Pac-Man; I could go around and around, piling up higher and higher scores. When I finally went out to check my mail, there was a note from the mailman instructing me to come to the post office, and to bring a truck. I was dumber than being a dummy.

But I'm mostly okay now. And I still like me some pie.

10 comments:

paperback reader said...

Were you truly a "dummy" for hastening the pie-eating part of the process? I see you as a visionary - the kind of man I'd follow to quicker desserts.

And I think many relationships in the 80s ended because of the "other woman" of Ms. Pac-Man. She was there for many of us when other women wouldn't be, and we always knew how to turn her on because her power button was clearly labeled and not confusing and awkward to find.

katrocket said...

Pie has a way of helping the hopeless among us find their lightpath through the darkness. O Sweet, beautiful pie.

Bert Bananas said...

Jeez, you two are like familiar beacons I've never heard or seen before.

katrocket said...

I'm here because I heard a rumour there was free pie. I will also accept free bananas, albeit with less enthusiasm.

paperback reader said...

Rumour of free pie...that made me spit water. Well done.

You guys are like my sitcom family - you're funnier than you should be, you don't look anything like me, and when we wrap for the night, I never see you.

Nessa said...

b.b. king: The 80's sucked and pie is yummy. I wish I could be home playing pac man right now.

T said...

High school Mormons obviously don't know about custard pie, but KAT sure does.

katrocket said...

Excuse me people - is there pie or not? I've got shit to do.

T - oh, you. It's a rock-out awesome Led Zep tune, about a man's dirty yearnin' for a piece of pie. I can totally relate right now.

T said...

Kat - I'm not that dirty, but I sure can relate to yearnin'.

After the Lemon Song, I didn't think Zep could outdo itself until Custard Pie came out. But unlike the Lemon Song, CP got plenty of radio play because I truly believe them radioheads had no idea what it was about.

I popped my "rock-cherry" when I inadvertently played Zep's "Heartbreaker" on my sister's stereo. There was no other band after that Page solo.

paperback reader said...

I always kinda liked Led Zeppelin, even though as a punk, they were everything the music I really liked hated.

In high school, I bought that sweet box set and used to put it on to make out to. And then I really grew to like Led Zeppelin. Plus, at like 70 minutes per CD, it was good training. I may well owe Led Zeppelin more than I thought.