Tuesday, August 28, 2007

"I shot a man just to watch him die."

I don't think anyone ever really said this. I think a writer dreamed up the character and the dialog, but only because someone was paying him.

A person who could deliver that line and mean it probably doesn't do all that much talking. But then I haven't spent any real time in prison, just that one night in the Clark County jail. I think I've mentioned it before. I surprised myself by how much sleep I got. And to this day it was the only time in my life I've eaten french toast with a spoon. I say this because prison sounds like a great place to hear a line like that.

I'm curious... how many of you have killed someone and is there a reward? I once wrote a screenplay about a family man who dallied where he shouldn't have and got AIDS. Wondering what to do to to leave some serious money for his wife and kids, he came up with a plan for killing Black gangsters. Naturally there was soon some pressure on City Hall to find and prosecute the killer and City Hall posted a reward. The guy then confessed everything to his wife and had her turn him in for the reward. He goes down in a blaze of glory, just like Michael Douglas in that movie, Falling Down. Yeah, it's a trite plot, but I could see it as having a lot of visceral appeal. Especially when a friend convinced me to write in a cameo by E.T.

8 comments:

Nessa said...

Does killing someone with a piercing stare or biting wit count? Not that I've done either of those either.

The Guv'ner said...

I thought Johnny Cash said that line!!! Except he was in Reno so that might not count...

My favourite part of "Falling Down" was the fast food scene. The whole "That doesn't look anything like the photo" part. It's hilarious for a really desperate, sad movie.

Yours sounds better though. I mean what's a serious tragedy without E.T.?

Leonesse said...

I heard ET committed suicide by sticking that glowing finger up his tiny nose hole.

katrocket said...

The Guv'ner is right - that line (with "in Reno" added) is from the Johnny Cash song "Folsom Prison Blues". But Bert is also right - it was a character who said the phrase, not a real person. Everyone's a winner baby, that's the truth.

"I once shot a man just to watch him die, then I got distracted and missed it. Oh, my friends tried to describe it to me, but it just isn't the same."

--Dave Foley, Kids In The Hall.

schell said...

I don't think I'd do well in prison. Although, there's be no kids.

paperback reader said...

I turned my first wife in and had her sent to prison for a crime she didn't commit. She promptly escaped a maximum security stockade to the Los Angeles underground. Today, still wanted by the government, she survives as a soldier of fortune. If you have a problem, if no one else can help, and if you can find her, maybe you can hire...my ex-wife.

Now THAT would make an awesome movie.

The Guv'ner said...

Hey Pistols, you know what else would make a really awesome movie? REALITY.

Not really. In fact, that would suck quite a bit.

There's a joke in Leonesse's comment somewhere to do with giant glowing fingers, suicide and the giant nose of Owen Wilson. It all comes back to Owen.

T said...

It all comes back to small boobs and big noses...