Monday, August 27, 2007

Ashes, it all turned to ashes...

When I wrote my last entry, I was flying high. And I thought it would last...

Normally I play golf on Saturday mornings. But this week the Asian game got changed to Sunday. So I went early Saturday morning to the driving range. (Jesus! I won't go to Ashwood again; they wanted $9 for a medium bucket!!)

I hit my way through the bucket. I was hitting the ball very nicely and feeling a good deal of pride, which I modestly was trying to conceal 'neath my bushel basket. I was down to four balls. I was hitting the 3 wood. I always put my bag down very close to where I'm hitting. I think it's no big deal because I'm always careful... Yeah, right. On the down swing I hit the head of my driver. The shaft snapped and I now had a two-piece driver.

I drove to our local full-service golf shop, in Hesperia. Cobra Golf will repair my driver. The shop couldn't have repaired mine in less than two days, so there was no need to hurry. My immediate problem at that point was what to do about the Asian game the next day. I voiced this concern at the shop and was answered with the offer of a loaner. It's also a Cobra driver, but it's a 65 gram shaft with an 8° loft. But it was really pretty...

Come Sunday morning I found out that I can't hit an 8° lofted driver. Few people can... So I couldn't get off the tee. And so the downward spiral began. I lost back all the money I'd won the week before.

If you have any connections at Cobra golf, could you please give them a call and ask them to rush the repair of my driver so I have it for next Saturday? Thanks. I'll owe you one...

3 comments:

T said...

Note to self: Bert is not on my team this Wednesday.

paperback reader said...

I prefer my buckets to be filled with fried chicken.

Leonesse said...

With biscuits and gravy.

Does this mean T doesn't owe you a quarter any more? And seriously.. I think that Spy vs Spy bit was in play here. Did you see an entirely white guy sneaking around? Mighta pushed your bag in the way?