Tuesday, August 28, 2007

Advice for the 21st Century

Honest truth, I no longer open fortune cookies at Chinese restaurants or buffets. It's a Lazthiest thing and it's okay if you don't understand...

But from past experience I am aware of what people go through when they read their 'fortunes.' And of course the Simpson's had an episode in which Homer took to writing these short, pithy essays. I remember that Woody Allen was among the group of writers whom Homer helped learn to write better 'fortunes.'

I was thumbing through the latest Readers' Digest this morning and noted that they had a humor piece dedicated to the notion that fortune cookie fortunes needed to be brought into the 21st century. Although it doesn't matter to me either way, I am always a proponent for progress, as well as fewer brassieres.

So I throw this out to you: write some 21st century fortune cookie fortunes. Sever your ties to the past and get with our modern age. Here are some that I came up with.

You will receive a text message from a stranger asking for money.

Your video Ipod will screen freeze with an ugly man's face leering at you.

Restless Leg Syndrome will strike someone close to you and you will have bruised calves.

A relative will win a lottery, move out of state and never speak to you again.

There will be a product recall that will make you weep.

You will be flipped the bird but your head will be so far up your ass you won't notice.

Someone close to you will max out his credit cards trying to find love, but will end up joining the Coast Guard.

You will have an orgasm so powerful that it will recharge all the batteries within 50 feet.

You will go to a party, get drunk, and wake up in alone in your own bed. Two months later your spouse will call you from Tonga to ask you to forward the mail.


10 comments:

L. said...

Bertsky,
Did I ever mention that Woody Allen is a relative of mine? : )

Truth.

xoxo
Grammiekins

Nessa said...

Your silly cell phone video will receive a million hits on YouTube thrusting you into infamy.

Leonesse said...

I PICK NUMBER 8!!!

Bert Bananas said...

Grammiekins, you've never mentioned that! What did you give him when he got married? Did you ever meet what's-her-name, Mia Farrow? I simply can't alter my opinion about what a raving lunatic bitch she is! So don't try to tell me any different.

Ms. GoldenGiggles, imagine the havoc that good 'face recognition' software will do! People will input a face and then the software will scour the video/jpg internet looking for that face. I bet a lot of us will be surprised where it finds us.

Bert Bananas said...

Mrs. LK, you can't "pick" your fortune! That's the essence of being human, that you never know whether that's flying feces hitting you in the face, or Angel's Lubricant, a prelude to a heavenly ...

paperback reader said...

Those were top shelf, old bean. I don't open fortune cookies, either, but only because I swallow them whole. Only the interior of my stomach knows what's coming, which isn't that hard to figure out if it's got any powers of deduction whatsoever: more fortune cookies.

L. said...

...didn't send old Woody a wedding gift. He wouldn't know me if he fell over me....The family stopped talking about our relationship when he married his daughter....(!!)
But, my dad's grandfather and Woody's mother were sister and brother making him my second cousin.

Go figure.

Leonesse said...

Grammie, please tell me this doesn't run in your family.

And I want NUMBER 8, dammit.

Brenda said...

my favorite fortune:

HELP! I AM BEING HELD CAPTIVE IN A FORTUNE COOKIE FACTORY!!!!

T said...

I'm with Leo,--screw your (and everyone else's) rules. Actually, I thought that happened once, but what really happened was my wife's ass hit the remote to the TV at just the right moment.