Sunday, April 22, 2007

What do Scientists say...?

First, let's get this clear: There are Scientists out there saying that creationism has as good a chance of being correct as evolution does. You may have even met some of these Scientists at church. My point being that just because a person says he or she is a Scientist doesn't mean that there are truths he or she wouldn't ignore in favor of a upholding a belief system. If you can't admit that there are biased Scientists, it's silly for you to continue reading this.

No serious thinker can believe that the investigation of global weather is a waste of time. The more we know about the future of the earth's weather and weather patterns, the better. Even if all you want to know is when and where you can plan on playing golf, or going skiing. Which is why there is intense investigation into what the future holds for us, weather-wise. Some by people who want to prove a belief system, and some by people who are open-minded and genuinely curious.

But when you are talking about the future, and what it holds, the conclusions reached, no matter how you arrive at them, are predictions. Think about predictions; even the ones you have some control over aren't guaranteed to come true. The easiest thing in the world is to find predictions that never came true.

Now some people might argue that there are some predictions so dire, that even if they won't come true, we're better off preparing for them, in case they do. How can anyone argue with that premise? You can't. You just have to ignore people who talk like that.

Is there a case for ignoring people hollering about the disaster du jour? Depends. If the disaster is human-oriented, like the Jews in Germany in the mid-1930, obviously they should have gotten the hell out when they were warned. But they ignored the small minority who predicted what Hitler had in mind. With regard to ignoring impending natural disasters, it's been humanity's penchant to ignore them, even when some of the proof was staring them in the face. Both for the same reason, which I'll get to...

"Global Warming" is said to be of human origin. Making Humanity the equivalent of the Jews in Germany in the early 1930s. At least those who believe in "Global Warming" are, in effect, saying this. Take action now, they say, or stay and die. Al Gore says this. So let's call this phenomenon 'AlGoreism.' We can call the opposite point of view 'BertBananaism.'

To answer those who will ask, "Bert Bananas, you monster! How can you so blithely gamble with humanity's future by ignoring the people who only want to save your life, and the lives of your many, many, many offspring?"

Here is my answer: You are so full of yourself! 98.3% of humanity does not think about the future and they aren't impressed with people who do! Today is when they are alive and they want to be as comfortable as they possibly can. This is why so many Jews stayed! They refused to be inconvenienced and so they rationalized and made excuses until it was too late. And that's what 98.3% of humanity is doing now. Why do you think this BS of Carbon Offsets is so popular among the rich carbon dioxide producers? They don't want to stop producing carbon dioxide! And think about China, South-East Asia, India, Africa and the Americas south of the Rio Grande? Heck, you can throw 98.3% of the United States and Europe into this mix! 98.3% of us are not losing one bit of sleep over "Global Warming." Meaning that we are not going to change. And the Chicken Littles in the 1.7% group trying to force the changes on us, they'll be removed from whatever power positions they're occupying if they get close to inconveniencing the rest of us.

And that's the way it should be. Because either we, Humanity, adapt to whatever changes come, or we don't. We need to continue reinventing ourselves. And if we don't...

Did you know that genetic studies indicate the possibility that at one point in our evolutionary history the human population was reduced to just a few tens of thousand people? No one is hazarding any guesses why, it is simply being proposed that there are largely indisputable genetic indications of this being the case. I'm saying that whatever calamity Humanity survived then was probably a lot more sudden and rigorous than what we are allegedly facing now.

"Global Warming" is not Hitler. Hysteria aside, there is no need to move/change. At the very worst, we will be forced to find a way to quickly remove CO2 from the atmosphere. Piece of cake. So you 1.7%, stop stressing.

9 comments:

paperback reader said...

Hmmm...so you're saying that global warming is a Zionist conspiracy?

While I usually argue for more complacency - not because it's a valid system of beliefs, but because I like justifying my laziness as if it were a valid system of beliefs - I must disagree with you, sir, mostly because "stop leaving the lights on all day and take public transport if you can" isn't a terrible, dire, impossible-to-comply-with proposition.

Further, it's also very little like the Holocaust, and while I see the point you're headed towards, most people who see Nazi allusions bandied about to make a point get offended, which is why you should instead use the Khmer Rouge or Argentina's desaparecidos, because no one in America cares about any of those systematic massacres.

Princess said...

Have been travelling with you for quite sometime but I was at the backseat so you couldn't have seen me. I'd been laughing, crying, gritting, stomping, and I am sure you didn't hear me either.
What I really meant to write is: I love your blog!
Princess

L. said...

....I also disagree with your post today as well as your use of the Holocaust as a point of comparison.

Your 'argument' needs a little tweaking today, my dear Bertsky...

: )

Bert Bananas said...

I did have a better argument, but when I submitted the draft to a plagiarism site, I was told that that particular argument had been made, in a blog in Denmark, in May of 2006. So I did a fall-back to the Nazi thing.

My whole point is that 98.3% of humanity won't do what's best for humanity. How about Prohibition? Not drinking alcohol is good for humanity, but Prohibition didn't work. It's going to be the same with whatever that 1.3% decides is best for the rest of us; we're going to resist like crazy.

Don't get me wrong, I won't mind if we find a way to turn away from fossil fuels. But until we have economical alternatives, 98.3% of us will leave our lights on all day and use clothes dryers instead of clothes lines. Because that's what humans do.

TeaMouse said...

I don't agree with the Holocaust comparison but you are right about the 98.3% not being concerned with global warming.

I have a hard time with accepting the global warming argument.

Bert Bananas said...

Princess, we have so much in common! I love me, too! Thanks for jumping into the front seat and twisting the rear view mirror to re-tie your "Chrissie-from-Three's-Company" pony tails.

Teamouse, again, I apologize for not using the best of all possible arguments. And thank you for getting my point. I won't thank you for agreeing with me because people shouldn't be thanked for doing the right thing.

T said...

You used the Holocaust as a politically incorrect comparison just to have the masses take notice and light that fuse. It worked and is admired by me.
Us 98.3% don't really care because we can't find a Scientist who can predict the weather next Wednesday even 51% of the time, let alone 100% of the time 100 years from now.
Common sense will tell us to turn a light off when necessary, plant trees where needed and have a beer to help relieve our stress... -like the other 1.7% should do.

T said...

By the way...
Science based on chance and not so much as fact.
Scientists should stick with good things that help us now (like medicine, rockets and bombs) and stay away from Church.

paperback reader said...

I like the Prohibition argument, and I agree with it. I spent about two days unplugging any electronic equipment I wasn't using (as I was informed this would somehow help reduce my global 'footprint'), but then I realized: it hurts a lot to climb under my desk to plug the computer in every time I want to use it. Besides, that's my intern's job.

So, even though I know it may kill the planet, I leave it plugged in, because I am not willing to mildly inconvenience myself for anybody, not even everybody.

Well, maybe Charlize Theron. She's quite a looker. And 4/5ths of the Go-Go's circa 1981. But that is it.

I would argue that 98.3% of Nazi references are wholly unfounded - see every single bill debated in Congress ("Pasteurizing milk? Where are we, Nazi Germany?"), or Nancy Grace's comments on anything or anyone disagrees with.

Of course, I also grew up in a neighborhood that has a section known as "little Israel," so there's that, too.