Monday, April 09, 2007

I inSincerely Apologize . . .

Blogger Command Control Center contacted my mother. The internet truly is powerful and the people who run it, in charge of all that power, can seemingly do anything they want. What else explains how they know who my mother is and how to get in touch with her?

They told my mom that I used the word "pricks" in a blog title and that unless she controls my apparent penchant for potty-mouthitness, I would be forever banned from blogging.

So she text-messaged me at work. Which is tough on me, what with me wearing gloves while I'm doing my curb painting. I had to sit there and get a dressing down from her, without a single abbreviation or short cut in her texting.

I didn't bother to try to defend myself by explaining that I had used "pricks" in an entirely appropriate matter. It's very hard to do via text messaging, what with a paint brush drying and a stencil possible sticking to the cement.

She finally gave me a telephone number to call and told me to stop being a naughty little potty-mouth and grow up and stop making trouble for her. I told her NEVER, only I just said it, I didn't text it.

Later when I had the time, I called the number. The lady who answered asked me for my user name and the name of my blog. I gave her the information. There was a pause, then she something along the lines of "ah ha!" and started to lecture me on proper usage of the internet, and how civility is the new watch word. But now that I was in touch with a human being, I was pretty sure I could turn the tables on The Internet-Powers-that-Be.

And I was right. She pulled up the post in question and quickly agreed that I was not making an unsavory reference to the male reproductive organ, or as she kept calling it, the "male member." I finally had to ask her, "Is there a female member?" She got all huffy and we parted on less than the best terms.

And I'm probation...

4 comments:

T said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
T said...

You KNOW you can't behave yourself for any extended period of time.

I can hear it now...

Parole Officer: "Take your hands off the keyboard and put them on the curb in plain sight! Now, why did you re-post more sexual innuendos?"

Bert: "No officer, you've got it all wrong. I was referring to the penal code and it has nothing to do with the male (or female) member."

Neoma said...

apology accepted.......tell your Mother that we all forgive you, but that many words taken out of context can get us in trouble, even words that sound close to bad words can get us in trouble......I got my mouth washed with soap for saying fugaloo when I was about 6, just because it was relatively close to a naughty word. Which really confused me, because i had no idea what naught word it was close to. I was six in the 50's. We didn't use bad words back then, well, not unless you liked the taste of soap.

paperback reader said...

That's yet another reason why parents should never discover that their children have blogs.