Friday, April 27, 2007

. . . just call this number...

This is one of the coolest things I've ever heard. It's also just about the ultimate expression of what it is to be a man.

After the first Gulf War, Gen. Schwartzkopf was given a medal by the French Foreign Legion. They had served under his command and apparently they'd had a good time, so they gave him a medal.

I watched this program and it showed the general receiving the medal. And then they interviewed him. There must have been a significant passage of time. Here's the really cool thing he said, and the facial expressions were just what a Hollywood script would call for.

"After they gave me the medal, they gave me a card, the size of a business card. There was a telephone number on the card. Printed above the number, it said, 'If you are ever in trouble, call this number and we will come to your aid.' Isn't that something?"

I'm guessing that most women and all pacifists could read this a hundred times and never get that little surge of 'warriorness' that most men who have grasp of reality would naturally get.

I wonder if there are Social Scientists who interpret data and propose theories without taking our 'warriorness' into account?

1 comment:

paperback reader said...

Does watching The Warriors count? Because I'm not all that war-like on my own, except towards inanimate objects that inconvenience me and are throwing-sized.

I think it's sad that we have to farm out protecting our military all-stars to the French, is what I think. Plus, if you're in trouble, how are you going to have time to call? Seems like a pretty empty gesture to me. Now, "If you are ever in trouble, we will know, and dispatch your enemies with our minds" - that's impressive.