Monday, March 05, 2007

Recipe for Life...

My wife is an excellent cook. And thanks to the internet, she been able to find new recipes to try out. A week ago Sunday she made a big pot of chili that was to die for! She's always made chili, and it's always been good, but this recipe had something in it that made it special.

And living here in SoCal, we're exposed to some excellent South o' the Border cuisine. She's learned to make killer chicken enchiladas. Man, with rice and beans and really cold Diet Coke, it's pure heaven.

Eating good, in good company, is right up there with doing good in a sport and the joy of sex. In fact, a perfect day for me would be 36 holes of golf, well played, dinner with my wife and then sex with her, in the dining room! It might freak out the kids, but heck, I think they already suspect how she and I feel about each other.

But could you do this every day? Financially, no. 36 holes of golf pretty much takes up the entire work day. There is night golf, but I've never played it. Neither did Bobby Jones, Ben Hogan, Fred Couples... I don't know about Tiger Woods.

What if I became insanely rich? Would I want to play golf every day? No. There'd be some days I'd just want to sit around reading and poking at the keyboard. And I'm too old for sex every day. But maybe I'm wrong about that? But realistically, I'm running out of time to prove my belief wrong.

I believe that if you weren't brought up rich, learning to be "idle" is very, very difficult. Especially for men, who don't really shop. We buy, but we don't shop. While I might give up painting addresses on curbs, I'd have to find something else that I could pretend was 'useful' to society.

My main hope is that my excellent genetic constitution would allow me to put myself out to stud. There is probably a good living to be made selling and delivering sperm that's in the genetic top 10%.

5 comments:

katrocket said...

I have also wondered what I would do with my days if I suddenly had vast amounts of cash at my disposal. I'm sure the first few years would be very exciting because I'd travel around the world, but perhaps life would become boring after a while, when one's goals become too easily obtained.

Oh, who am I kidding? Bring it on!

Also, please FedEx killer chicken enchiladas northward! It's about time someone figured out how to make a decent meal of those pesky Killer Chickens.

Mary Lois said...

At least you can afford good Diet Coke to go with your Mexican food.

Bert Bananas said...

Kat, it's the Killer Chickens in Mexico that are driving the natives north!

Even-Handed Hope, is bad Diet Coke cheaper?

Bert Bananas said...

Daisy, remember what your sainted ______________ (fill in the blank) told you! You get what you paid for!

Besides, I'll stack my genetic suitability up against ANYONE! My dad died at the age of 79, of a broken heart, because my mom took off with her tennis instructor. She's 96 now and has just taken up golf (and golfers...) No one in my family is on any medication. Zero, zip, nada. We are so frigging healthy and long-lived that even mom is likely to outlive her Social Security 'benefits'.

The downside is that my offspring will get no rhythm from my side of the mitosis gap.

paperback reader said...

I am very good at doing nothing. I'd show you how good, but that'd be defeating the point, wouldn't it? I would be quite content to be filthy rich, working some laughable job for two hours a day at an ice cream shop (or a fancier ice cream shoppe), then coming home to swim in a Scrooge McDuck-sized pile of gold coins.