Friday, March 09, 2007

Geography and $Geography



I took these two photos from a hillside on one side of the valley, looking towards the other hillside. I will give a prize, one entire book of the Best (expurgated) Book of Golf Jokes, to the first person who can tell me what city this was in.

The remarkable edifice is a Buddhist Temple. When news of the construction of this Buddhist Temple was made public, the non-Buddhists in the area started planning early retirements. And it came to pass that Buddhists from all over the region started buying homes in the area. Prices tripled back in the early-80s when this was being built. A friend of mine sold the house she'd paid $75,000 for, in 1977, for $285,000 in 1983. It was pretty outrageous.

Word also has it that you can't win at Texas Hold'em unless you go give a suitable offering before playing.

Apparently Buddhists gamble...

5 comments:

katrocket said...

It looks kinda smoggy and California-ish so I'm going to guess that it's Malibu, and that Richard gere is somehow responsible. But even if I'm right, you can keep the golf jokes. That kinda humour would get me lynched in my hood.

Bert Bananas said...

Kat, you're neck is safe. It is not Malibu.

Here's hint: The valley is now rife with people of a different slant.

katrocket said...

Well, the place looks like the Mines of Mordor, but your hint leads me to believe it's the San Gabriel Valley. So I googled "San Gabriel Valley" and found the Hsai Lai temple in Hacienda Heights. I love solving mysteries (and ruining marriages) through cheating.

Nice digs, shame about the Orcs.

paperback reader said...

Ah, the Hsai Lai was one of the (two) places I was told I MUST visit when I moved to LA. The woman who told me this, however, had several strikes against her, most notably: 1) she was in a PhD program in women's studies, and thus clearly knew nothing about everything; and 2) she was a friend-in-law, and therefore easily ignored.

I never went, because oddly, going someplace for someone else's childhood nostalgia never made a damn bit of sense to me.

Then again, neither did most of Jong's works.

Bert Bananas said...

Well solved, Ms. Kat! I never did learn the name of the place. And how do we know there aren't orcs therein?

PAD, isn't it weird how so many men think they could ace a Women's Studies final if they had enough beer?