Wednesday, March 21, 2007

Guaranteed, or your money back!

Pretty scary words to a cynic.

But when you WANT to believe, the phrase is a show stopped. (If you leave out the 'h', it makes it a "sow stopper..." Truth by typo?)

Another newly minted phrase has been haunting me, as well: Inconvenient Truth. I predict this will soon become part of our daily lexicon. Much as 'At this point in time..." and ... what's the other phrase that one guy said and now everyone uses it, sometimes to mock, but mostly trying to be serious?

Anyway, it won't be long now before you'll hear 'inconvenient truth' on sitcoms.

Ugly Betty: But I love him!

Nasty White girl: Honey, here's an inconvenient truth, you're short, frumpy, over-weight and brown. He's never going to look at you and see the mother of his children!



Meg: Daddy, when I graduate I want to go to Harvard!

Peter Griffin (The Family Guy): Meg! You're ____ _____ _____ _______ and I ____ _____ ______ ______!


See? The stuff just writes itself when you have a good premise.

3 comments:

paperback reader said...

Yet another reason why Run-D.M.C. were the greatest rap group of all time: "If you find that you don't like our ways/you can send us back in thir-ty days." A money-back guarantee no one ever need use, I assure you - they were always brilliant.

Nessa said...

Truth is always inconvenient for those who don't want to face it.

Don't I sound all smug and shit?

T said...

My new Al Gore-ology: 'the incoherent truth'.