Thursday, June 21, 2007

You Didn't Know I Left and Now I'm Back...

The rest of this song is probably very sad, so I'll just skip to the facts.

Big T, of T-Words, convinced my wife that it would be cool for me to go to Mesquite for five days of golf and reading novels. There were 18 of us, but I was the only who brought books. So after the golf I was lonely. But not bitter. Just lonely.

Mesquite, Nevada was founded by the Mormons. It's on the Virgin River, just a stone's throw from Bunkerville, Nevada. Bunkerville has been manufacturing Bunkers since 1884. Paula Bunker was manufactured there and she broke my heart. I refused to even look at signs mentioning Bunkerville. But the whole time I was there, I knew Bunkerville was mocking me, asking me how I like it now, and if Paula Bunker and what she did to me on Graduation Night was still at the heart of all my problems. I never said a word back, but Bunkerville knew that it had my number. I was the poster boy for "Ineffectual." Grammie asked about my pic... Look I'm ineffectual and you'll see me frowning at the camera.

Five days of golf, books and missing my wife. But on the plus side, I learned to play three card poker and pai gow poker. Luckily I had remembered blackjack and how to lose gracefully.

I did get on the computer one night, but not for long. I should have done some work but all I did was play in blog land.

4 comments:

paperback reader said...

Welcome back, sir, and let me tell you what I've learned: books are better friends than friends because they can be dealt with on your schedule and they never beat you at blackjack.

P.S. If what I hear about Mormons is true, that "Virgin" river has at least a few tributaries in places you wouldn't expect.

T said...

If I would have known you were lonely (and not being a loaner), I would have taught you how to socialize better.

For starters, bringing your novels to breakfast...

paperback reader said...

Bert, say what I do when people want to talk over a movie or a book you're trying to watch: "Hey, these people get paid to tell stories, so they're better than you at it. Shut up."

Incognito said...

Any relation to Edith ?