Wednesday, June 06, 2007

N'Dyah

N'Dyah is a name I came across today. But for the name I wouldn't have given her a second thought.

There should be a reality program devoted to punishing parents who come up with 'original' names. Viewers would listen to the junkie single mothers explain how they came up with the different names and then vote on the intensity and duration of the individual punishments. The kicker would be that each contestant would be afforded a hefty life insurance company so that if the voting warranted it, death would be a reward for the mis-named offspring.

6 comments:

Chris the Hippie said...

Mo'Reese.

I agree. If you have to look at a name and play the "license plate" game trying to figger out how to pronounce it, there's something wrong.

ta'Shaundé.

You can tell a lot by a name. If you see "Hans," you kinda know where the guy is from, or at least you can make a guess. Kinda like the old-timey Arabian method of putting "al" in front of words - algebra, al-Queda, al-Bert. But if you see "Shaqwanda" you have to scratch your head just a bit.

But on the other hand, "Wendy" was a made-up name that's popular and accepted now (the guy who wrote Peter Pan coined the name).

T'Keela.

Bert Bananas said...

T'Keela Mockeenburg... I like it!

If it's a boy, T'Keelo...

Chris the Hippie said...

When I was starting Hippie Go Lucky, a nifty three-piece rock band, I lobbied HARD to name it Tequila Mockingbird. I was voted down. Maybe if I had spelled it differently... T'Keela McInberg.

What are you doing up at this hour? Isn't it still the middle of the night in Sunny Caleeforneeah?

Bert Bananas said...

It's almost 7:00 a.m. Sometimes I get up early so I can take a nap sooner.

katrocket said...

I was given a rather odd name long before it was a cool trend to use apostrophes or name your children after inanimate objects. I would have voted for your reality show, because that's a twisted thing to do to a kid, but later in life, I find that having an unusual name sets one apart from the crowd. Now I'm grateful that my parents named me Honey Potts.

T said...

Simple names are easier for the ignorant to make fun of: Hey, Boston "T" Party; Mr. (White) "T", Fits You to a "T"; "T"-Pee; Big "T"; etc... -And that always makes me feel more intelligent than the idiot. Whoop -"E"...