Monday, June 25, 2007

I met a man...

This is going to freak you out! It freaked me out and I was there watching it happen. You could see it coming so it wasn't like it totally caught me by surprise, like it is you. It's just the extreme unusualness that gets to you, because if you fit it into the context of WWII, it's not really that big a thing.

Okay, I believe I've mentioned that I was a Mormon Missionary. It was a long tme ago, in the 60s. Technically, I could be a grandfather to the little Missionaries out there today. I did my Mission in Mexico, in one of four territorial divisions the Church had set up. My territory included Mexico City. Mexico City is old and there are some very, very rich people there.

One day, in a very old section called Coyoacán my companion and I met a man. He didn't tell us his name. He invited us into his cozy home. It reeked of reclusive erudition. It was dark and there were books everywhere. I don't remember much of what was said. Remember, I was just 19, callow to a very alarming degree, and although I was a voracious reader, back then my preferred genre was science fiction. So when this gentleman started telling us about how foolish we were to talk for god and salvation, it was easy to feel smug and superior, what with my Companion and I possessing 'The Truth.' I do remember him telling us, calmly, almost dispassionately, that he had seen things that would convince the most stalwart of believers that god could not possibly exist. He looked fairly old. I never forgot that man, mostly because of the setting. I'd never that kind of stuffy, educated reclusiveness. And then there was his certainty.

Anyway, I men him today. He is 74, having been born in 1933. He now lives in San Bernardino. I would never have remembered him; I never 'developed' a picture of his face to go with the rest of the recollection of that brief event. I was painting addresses on curbs and as is often the case I had people coming out to talk to me. There's this thing about me: I don't speak "street Spanish." I was a Missionary who learned Spanish while a Missionary and then I took my minor in Spanish. I'm sure most Spanish-speakers realize there's something 'stuffy' about my Spanish be he was one of the very, very few who questioned it. So I explained. He asked where I'd served my Mission. I answered. He asked if I'd ever been in Coyoacán. I said I had. He asked what year. I answered. He asked me if remembered meeting him in his stuffy, reclusive study. I gave him a long look and said I did. We talked a lot more...

But to cut to the chase, the gentleman, Gustavo Merced de la Torre, is now living with his remaining relative, a nephew. And his claim to fame, or notoriety, is that he was the only Mexican to spend time in a Nazi Concentration Camp. Or as he corrected me, un Campo de Exterminación Nazi. Not a subtle difference.

He's never made a serious inquiry, but he spent all of WWII in Germany and never heard of any other of his fellow countrymen being there. So that's why he says he is the only Mexican survivor of the death camps.

See, I told you it was weird.

12 comments:

paperback reader said...

I don't think I'd make any inquiries, either. I think high school reunions are depressing enough...

And in my mind, that man speaks in the same way that Batty does on the rooftop at the end of Blade Runner: "I've seen things you people wouldn't believe. Attack ships on fire off the shoulder of Orion..."

This is actual proof that I am an idiot.

T said...

Mexico City with a population of 534 million (slightly exaggerated) to San Bernardino with a population of 232 million Mexicans (not an exaggeration), so it's not that big of a coincidence.

No, really, what a great story. Just imagine: A Mexican meeting an American of Mexican decent in SoCal. --What are the odds?

Did he bring his books and did he tip you for putting a slash through the seven in his address?

Mary Lois said...

I love this story. I wonder what it means.

L. said...

Interesting.

I truly believe that there is a reason that he reappeared in your life.

Let us know when you figure it out.

: )

Andrew Saavedra said...

There's a school of "philosophy" (you can't really call it philosophy since this school insists that nothing has any meaning...) that says that nothing has any meaning. (You hear an echo?)

So from that point of view, I have twice met the only Mexican to be in a Nazi death camp. He's probably mentioned this to other people, who like me, think, "So?" I try to tell people about my first mother-in-law but no one cares.

I met Jewish death camp survivors when I was a chaperon for one of my kid's field trips to the Museum of Intolerance. According to each survivor, 6,000,000 jews died at the hands of the Nazis, but I survived. You could see it in the faces of all the kids: "So?" But none of them said that out loud.

I'll probably meet this guy for lunch and he'll tell me some of his story. At the end of it, having been unable to tell a single one of my interesting stories (which I agree all pale in significance to having been in a death camp) I will feel vaguely unfulfilled.

But I accept the limitation that being human has imposed on me.

Andrew Saavedra said...

How about that crap... my son signed onto the Mac and I ended up posting as him... But it's me, the Real Bert Bananas. Accept no cucumber substitutes...

Incognito said...

There's also a school of thought that states there are no coincidences. And people come in to our lives for a reason, as grammie states.

And I have had too many things happen in my life to prove that there *is* a God. so... who is right? :-)

Jana said...

Hey, since you're signed on as your son, go on his e-mail and see if you can flirt with his women!!
As for the only mexican to survive the Nazi's and you ran into him painting numbers on curbs, wonderful! I hope you go to lunch and hear a story or two, and maybe see if he has any of those stuff old books left around!!

paperback reader said...

I try and avoid making friends with people who have "seen some shit, man" because you're right - then they won't listen to any of your stories, which we all know is the only reason humans interact. We're never listening, just waiting for our turn to speak.

Nessa said...

I'd be curious to find out how he got into a death camp in the first place.

I know they rounded up all kinds of people, gypsies, gays, Catholics, the mentally ill and disabled, physically handicapped people, parents turned in by their children for speaking against the Nazi's, but generally these people were residents of countries invaded by the Nazi's.

Nessa said...

Those flapping butterfly wings sure do have an affect on things.

Chris the Hippie said...

What a cool story!

It's humbling to meet people like that. At least it is to me.