Tuesday, October 02, 2007

Jesse's Girl . . .

I found this pretty cool internet radio station, Pandora.com. You do have to register after 24 hours of listening, but it's free. In return, you get to create your own radio station. You name your station and then give them the name of a song or an artist and they find songs in that artist or song's style. You can create quite a number of stations and then either play one station, or do a shuffle between your different stations.

What's cool is that if they play a song you don't like, you click on the thumbs down icon and the song is replaced by a new song, and you won't hear the song you 'thumbed down' for at least 30 days. So this works for a song that you eventually get tired of hearing.

There are commercials constantly visible on the screen, but with tabbed browsing I only go to that screen to thumbs up or thumbs down a song.

So tonight I was listening to my one station, named Heart Radio, and Jesse's Girl came on. I totally grove on this song, not for the words, but for the beat/melody. I was in my office and I jumped up, closed the door and cranked up the volume. Then I grabbed a pair of 50 lb dumbbells and started slinging them around (...okay, they weren't 50 lbs each, but there was a 5 on each one...). I did some curls, then some reverse curls, then some presses, then back to curls... two-thirds of the way through the song I was begging for it to end. I could have been seriously injured if they'd played the 16 minute concert version. I made it through the song and then put the dumbbells down and went and complained (yeah, okay, whined...) to my wife, trying to get some sympathy.

I got none.

On top of that, I'm going to have to take an Advil tonight, so that I don't wake up all achy. I want to be loose and limber for golf. We're playing at a course I've never played at before. Virginity becomes me.

9 comments:

Chris the Hippie said...

Your obsession with golf concerns me a bit.

I'm gonna have to check out that Pandora thing.

Leonesse said...

Pandora is nice. The thumbs up/down thing must be new.

You mean you didn't get a sports massage from Liz? Poor baby. And having to swing that golf club all morning, too. What is a god to do?

Nessa said...

Moral of the story: Don't listen to music.

The Guv'ner said...

People would pay good money to see a grown man rock out with dumbbells to "Jesse's Girl". You'd be an internet sensation (more than already I mean!)

You know Pistols will be relentless. And come up with another seventy equally dangerous songs for you to ache to.

Pandora sounds like Yahoo's Launch (is that still around?) that i used to use about five years ago. You rate the songs and it hones your station to stuff you like. See the Guv'ner has been there and done that. I like Last FM myself.

paperback reader said...

Isn't Jesse's Girl like 2 and a half minutes long?

And also, awesome?

But not long enough to injure yourself during?

Leonesse said...

I suppose it all depends on what you were doing for that 2 and a half minutes.

T said...

You shoulda taken more Advil.

Anonymous said...

Guv, Launchcast is still around.
If the dumbell dance had been filmed it would've youtube hit.
It can't be easy to shuffle dance and curl weights at the same time.

Chris the Hippie said...

I'm really liking this Pandora thing!