Tuesday, October 09, 2007

An Alternative to the Truth

But first, what is "Truth?" Truth is a lot of things. Who can argue with that? And sometimes there are things you don't want other people to know. Which is why you end up suing the publishers and authors of unauthorized biographies. And you write your own life story, an oughter-biography, to tell the story of your life as is oughter be told.

Which is why I am so absolutely certain that non-fiction is an alternative to the truth.

Seriously, if answering a question truthfully requires more than "yes" or "no," you're not going to hear The Truth. 'Nano-fibs" always creep in. This is why God, in His/Her/Its infinite wisdom did NOT make lying, except in that one narrow category, a sin.

Yours in Truth,

Bert Bananas, tin horn deity


P.S.: Seriously, isn't the concept of a nano-fib a liberating concept? "Aw, Gladys, it was just a nano-fib!"

6 comments:

paperback reader said...

Fiction is not the exclusive provenance of others. I look at my lying as taking the power back.

Anonymous said...

my guy's momma is a minister and she's always saying "you go to tjhe same hell for lying as you do for murder" which i always thought was a semigood point, except she's shit-house-crazy, so really isn't reliable at all i guess.

jilly

Bert Bananas said...

Jillikins! Thanks for finding me! How come you never mentioned your Rev. Mom-in-Law was a minister on your blog? Is she going to officiate at the baptism?

Anonymous said...

In fact nano fibs and white lies are GOOD things because it means when that woman with a kestrel on her head asks if you like her new hair don't, you can say "Oh it's beautiful!" and she'll feel good, you'll have made her feel good and all will be well. So I think this means lying makes it all better. No?

T said...

I know one thing, I hardly ever *lie and this generally pisses off those that I have offended by not lying.

I learned long ago not to give a shit and feel better about telling the truth.

*Of course, when I was younger (approx. 15 - 24 years of age), and horny, "Of course I love you!" was a common T-vocalization.

Anonymous said...

bert, she's lucky she's getting to come to the christening, her officiating at it was never considered.

jilly