Monday, September 03, 2007

"God Is Not Great."

That's the name of a book written by Christopher Hitchens. The sub-title is "How Religion poisons everything." I've read a number of his essays and enjoyed his writing, even when I didn't agree with what he was opining. But how can I dislike what I'm learning about his views of religion? Here's a quote from a previous work that I'm amazed I missed, in which he had this to say about Mother Teresa:

"Terri was a corrupt, malignant dwarf who left people to die in agony because 'Christ loves suffering.'"

I don't know enough about Momma T to have an opinion but you gotta love how he beats around the bush.

He was interviewed on TV yesterday and I was enjoying it. He has some amusing personal habits that I'm sure his critics have probably attacked. He talked about his drinking. He says he'd not an alcoholic; he's just a guy who likes the buzz... Asked if he'd had a drink yet that day, (it was 3:00 p.m.) he said he hadn't, but only because of the scheduled interview. He further remarked that had he not had it not been for the interview, he would have had his first alcoholic libation before noon.

I would have watched more, but they let a caller on who rambled embarrassingly while trying to ask him to forgive her for having lost her faith, because is wasn't her fault. At least I think that's what she might have been getting at. The host interrupted her stuttering, repetitive attempt to communicate: "Caller, do you have a question?" Three seconds went by and I concluded that she didn't so I changed the channel...

Hitchens was asked this interesting question: "Are you happy?"

His response was that he was more interested in being satisfied.

Not me. In work and in golf, if you're satisfied, why would you continue? Unless he meant that he's satisfied to keep trying. Semantics...

As life drags on, what makes you feel best, happiness or satisfaction? Maybe they're the same? Why would Hitchens distinguish them? Maybe he doesn't think he deserves happiness?

13 comments:

Sonya said...

You may judge this however you like, but Mr. Tree took Hitchens' book to jury duty pool and was dimissed after a short interlude.

Bert Bananas said...

Apparently your city knows how to deal with heathens...

Mary Lois said...

Google him! Fascinating story about his break with the Liberals over Bill Clinton (when he was deployed to portray Monica Lewinski as a "stalker") in a long article that ran in New York a few years back. The "alcoholic" tag seems undeniable, particularly with his repeated denials.

I too saw the tv interview and noted the pause before his "no" answer about having had a drink before the interview. I pretty much thought it was a lie.

Interesting man, loves the limelight too much, probably doesn't believe what he says himself, but I think our old friend booze is poaching his brain.

Chris the Hippie said...

I'd like to read the book. I saw Hitchens on "The Daily Show" a while back -- he seemed to be an interesting sort of fellow...

Happy vs. Satisfied: mashed potatoes satisfy me, but Canadian bacon and pineapple pizza makes me happy. Mowing the yard satisfies me, but seeing that the neighbors finally mowed theirs too makes me happy.

T said...

Can someone who is truly creative ever be satisfied?

Jana said...

Being sexually satisfied makes me happy.
Does that make me want to stop having sex? NOOOO!
Satisfied in my job? Every day and every house is a new experience for me, so I'm happy to leave them clean and satisfied when their checks don't bounce.

Bert Bananas said...

I still think that there are slippery semantics going on when we try to compare, contrast and constipate "Happiness" v. "Satisfaction."

Chris the Hippie said...

Poop. I just wrote a fairly convoluted little thesis on the subject, but for some reason it didn't post. Drat.

Something about happiness being chemical, whereas satisfaction is moral and/or cultural. Happiness happens when we meet our biological imperative to survive and our brain releases happy little endorphins. Satisfaction happens when we meet a cultural or moral goal or milepost.

Just a thought.

Bert Bananas said...

So you're saying finally getting laid, which is both a biological imperative AND a cultural goal/milepost, is the best of both worlds?

You're one astute individual, Chris. I salute you!

Leonesse said...

So, are we extrapolating that damn good sex is a dual brained, multi-satifactory event? Like winning the Olympics in some Freestyle event or writing a huge manifesto? Can I hand LK a blue ribbon for this?

paperback reader said...

He can't be happy with that mid 80s haircut...

Bert Bananas said...

Speaking for myself, Mrs. LK, a cold drink would be more appreciated.

Nessa said...

I am never satisfied, but often happy.