Tuesday, January 08, 2008

The Dance: sexual expression to a beat

I think I'm the norm, when it comes to The Dance: High school was pretty much it.

I rarely think about it, but when I do, I can easily conjure up memories (real ones!) about all the dancing I did in high school. We had weekly 'sock-hops' in the gym and then there were the de rigueur seasonal dances. Junior year was good, but my senior year was top drawer, because I got asked out to the Sadie Hawkins Dance, by Linda Sharp! Schweet!

Anyway, I spent my 'dancing career' dancing to top 40 songs of the 1960s.

And now I feel cheated. Oh, sure, we had some great rock 'n roll and some wonderful slow dancing music, don't get me wrong. But now I'll probably go the rest of my life never dancing- in public -to all those great songs of the 80s, 90s and now. (Notice how I left the 70s out? I shouldn't have. I just had a sudden rush of memories about doing some 'dirty bumping' to disco... So there is a shameful side to sexual expression to a beat.)

Remember all the yearning that would build up prior to a dance and then you'd go pick up your date and there was some boobage showing and your loins would start their slow twist (which growing Mormon ended with me twisting in the wind, and not the Chubby Checkers kind of twisting) and then there'd be a killer ballad and you'd hold her in your arms and sing (off-key) into her delicate shell-like ear, trying to let her know, through the huskiness you imparted to your voice, that she was the most desirable woman there... And her thighs would brush yours and you'd wonder what she was thinking about the banana in your pocket...

Dancing at weddings (why don't we dance at funerals?) with someone you've watched delivering your offspring somehow just isn't the same, yearnings-wise. So I guess it's just an instance of a part of your youth you can never recapture, except in a blog.

Ladies, was there ever a guy who did sing on key into your delicate shell-like ear?

4 comments:

Leonesse said...

Bert, I do recall one of my first dances at my new school was spent hearing sweet nothings as his hands were roaming all over my body like an starving octopus looking for prey in the crevices. Maybe I wouldn't have minded if I had actually known the dude but being new made me spend the time moving his hands up or down, whichever case was necessary. Said Lothario also asked if I would be interested in having sex with him a few months later while I was looking particularly hot in English class. I still didn't know him.

Wait.... PISTOLS???? Did the witness protection program change your name to Hilary?

Nessa said...

I once dated a man who crooned Sinatra in my ear.

Anonymous said...

Um, if you count Paradise by the Dashboard light, loudly in my shell-like ear.

Jana said...

I always loved those gym dances - the guys on one side, the girls on the other side... the Jock football player and his schweet cheerleader girlfriend feeling eachother up in the middle of the dance-area.
I was wondering how you ended up dancing at a wedding with the doctor that delivered your children? How drunk were you anyway? Didn't you notice you were dancing with a guy??!!!
My favorite dashboard song was Blinded By The Light... =-)