Sunday, August 13, 2006

Where in Your Bible Does it Say . . .

The Bible As A Survival Guide

About 10 years ago a father started jotting down some notes as he and his wife were contemplating their oldest son's approaching departure for college. The dad must have started contemplating with a lot of lead time because by the time the boy was packed and loading his car, the father had written a book. And I heard about it in the press because the book became such a hot seller.

I have kids and I've given them advice. I couldn't have written a book, because I don't have that much to say about living, what with being naturally lazy. "Go along to get along..." was probably my big conttribution, and it doesn't even take a pamphlet to get that point across. I could have printed up a hand-out, but I kept putting it off.

So to my point: the Bible, as a hand book for living, is hopelessly confusing, outdated and just really a total mess. And yet it is recommended as a Must Read by every Pastor, Reverend, Prophet, Seer & Revelator you can name. (Note the omission of Priest and Father.) But in truth, there are much better sources for finding your way in the world. Like the Disney Channel!

I'm working on some thoughts about what a lame excuse for advice "do unto others as ye would have them do unto you" is... I'll get back to you shortly. In the meantime try going along to get along, at least until you can get off the particular bus you're on.

6 comments:

Nessa said...

What if you want to do more than get along?

Mary Lois said...

Then I suspect you've come to the wrong blog.

Nessa said...

What if you don't want to get along at all?

Bert Bananas said...

Fair Hope, you wound me! I really do believe that everyone wants to get along with someone!

Yer Nibship, sure thare are times we have that "I hate the whole world" thing going, but ...

Mary Lois said...

Bananas, you are so busted! "but..." BUT WHAT??? Out with it, you don't know what! You can't handle what! The Nibs and I are onto you and your "but..."

And I've only got one thing to add: Ha!

P.S. I hate this little window thingie you've added to your comment-section. It gives me claustrophobia. As if I didn't have enough troubles today. Oh, I forgot, I had my chakras cleaned. I should be mellower than this. "but..."

Bert Bananas said...

Ms. Fair Hope, without the "but"s we'd be something other than what we are, illogical and imperfect.

I like this comments window. I don't lose track of where I am as easily this way.