Sunday, August 06, 2006

Living Fearlessly in Fear

or... Brave enough to be chicken

I once almost had a heart attack. Meaning that I wasn't having a heart attack, but thought I was. And so I had the opportunity to contemplate my mortality. I'm pleased to tell you that I did not attempt to bargain with God. My wife did, and the pay-off was handsome for me. But that's entirely another topic.

About my mortality: I am not possessive. I am comfortable with the notion that it isn't mine to keep forever. I am pleased with what I'd done with my life (mostly with what I'd gotten away with!) and since I truly believe it's all a big crapshoot I think I've fared quite well. (If 'well' is an adverb in that sentence, why isn't it "...fared quite well-ly"?)

If I had wrap this up in one carefully crafted thesis for living well (well-ly?) it is:

Your shit stinks and so does everyone elses.

(This probably isn't in the bible, but it should be.)

3 comments:

Nessa said...

Your axciom reminds me of mine: Life sucks, now get over it. Gets me through the night.

Bert Bananas said...

I sleep nights, but I get what you're trying to say.

But mine's way better, as axioms go, because you know it would have more impact if you were face to face with __________ (insert name of world's hottest celebrity) and you told him/her that his/her shit's stink could kill a buzzard eating rat entrails on a manure truck. They don't get to hear that enough.

Nessa said...

A breath of fresh air.