Saturday, August 05, 2006

Going & Meaning...

People Go, "I Mean..."

I have not looked for a birth year that divides the "So I go..." people from the, "So I said..." people. But I have to assume it's there.

But I don't think there's any age that has escaped the "I mean, really!" syndrome. The condensing of "What I mean to say is..." into, "I mean, you should hate the Martians!"

Big whoppie, though, huh? Communication is such a hit or miss thing that it's probably a good thing that we reduce the content of all that we say so that by saying less, we lower opportunities to miscommunicate.

4 comments:

Benedict S. said...

!

Mary Lois said...

Actually, it's not, "So I go..." it's "So I'm like..." I dunno what happened to the word "said." Seems to have dropped off the face of the earth.

"So I'm like, 'How are you?'" and he's like, "I'm okay, zup?" and I'm like, "Goin' to the mall," and he's like, "Cool."

All the while, the language of Shakespeare, Milton and George Bernard Shaw is changing with the times.

Nessa said...

So, I like went, "Are there any opennings in your industry?"

Bert Bananas said...

Well reduced, Bendict.

Ms. Hope, there are still extant many practitioners of the King's English. You are certainly a superb example.

Your Nibship, what an interesting question! I am hiring ...