Friday, August 18, 2006

She Could be #1, but it's all #2 to me.

Katie Couric, Girl Wonder



It was all I could do to refrain from blackening a couple of teeth and putting in some pimples and a black eye... Not because I dislike Katie, but merely because that's what louts such as myself are ever so capable of doing.

I have never met Katie and if we were ever to meet, it is likely that our life styles, goals, aspirations and political views would render us incompatible. But just as I suppose myself to be a decent human being, I am sure that she is, too.

What makes me think twice about Katie is the hype over her becoming head News Reader at CBS. (hmmmm.... who was the head News Reader during the Lewinski dust up?) If she were honest about being a 'journalist' she would admit that this is all she should be. If she wants to change the world, and skews the 'meaning' of what she reads, then she's not a journalist. If she wants the viewers to form one certain impression of what she's just read to them, then she's not a journalist. I have no problem with this, but would prefer that the show then be called The Katie Couric What Happened, What Didn't Happen and What Should Have Happened Show, starring Katie Couric, as the Beaver!

In other words, she could be the Rush Limbaugh of the Left, which would be wonderful.

As a person who has not watched a national network's news show since probably 1985, it boggles my mind that CBS feels they are getting their money's worth for Katie's services. And if she does turn out to be worth it to CBS, it means that CBS accurately analyzed just how brain-dead so much of the American populace is.

Meaning that the Internet still has a long way to go.

3 comments:

Mary Lois said...

You think Katie Couric will not be worth to CBS what CBS is willing to pay her? You think she doesn't have news chops? You think it matters? You think the Internet doesn't have a long way to go? No wonder your name is bananas.

Bert Bananas said...

"You think Katie Couric will not be worth to CBS what CBS is willing to pay her?" Well, in my best news reader voice, with one eyebrow arched, 'only time will tell.'

"You think she doesn't have news chops?"
What are 'news chops'? If you mean do I think she knows how to confront people who are on her turf, with questions 'suggested by her producers, then yes, she has 'news chops'. Do I wonder if she is capable of Woodwarding and Bersteining, yes, I do. If she has news chops, then I have Pope Chops.


"You think it matters?" I'm a devout Laztheist. Only laughing matters.

"You think the Internet doesn't have a long way to go?" No. I said, explicitily that because exists as the personality some people revere, it does have a long way to go. Even without registering her as a proof of this, I had a strong hunch the internet had way more things to sell.

"No wonder your name is bananas." No wonder? What would a world be with no wonder?

I'm still reeling over the concept that Katie has news chops....

Mary Lois said...

Okay, I'm busted again. I don't know what news chops are, is, or if they, it, even exist(s). I just liked the sound of it.

I agree that laughing matters, and that ain't no laughing matter. Only on your blog could I be so ungrammatical. What a hoot!

I'm going to leave you reeling over concepts while I go reel over something else. Just remember, the Internet doesn't have a long way to go. Or else it does. The question is not how long, but why?