Thursday, August 24, 2006

Temperature Sensitivity

Or, how I was meant to be Royalty

In my tiny cubicle I have a combination digital clock and digital thermometer. I got it last winter.

Because of the thermometer feature, I can now tell you that at 83 degrees farhenheit I am perfectly comfortable and happy. But at 84 degrees farhenheit, I am uncomfortably warm.

I'll be sitting here, hunched over my desk, cowed down by the heavy oppressiveness, by the constraints of of cubicle life, when suddenly I'll feel uncomfortable, temperature-wise, whereas an instant before I'd been comfortable in that regard. I'll whirl around and look at the thermometer, and it'll be at 84 degrees. Then I'll get up, step outside of my cubicle and stretch up to my full 5' 2¼" and then stride over to the A/C thermostat where I'll fiddle with the control to make it work harder and get me back to my comfort zone.

What bugs me is, who is fiddling with the controls after I set them?

4 comments:

karl said...

So what temperature is the thermostat set for when it's 84 degrees in your cube? We have a similar problem where I work. I'm in the second floor of a building with undersized A/C, so the temperature often gets to 80 degrees or more even when the themostat is set to 73.

Bert Bananas said...

Karl, the thermostat has a little prong sticking out of the side that you move up or down; there's no gauge, you just move it until you think you like where it's at. (Not unlike sex...) So we just go at it with the blind ignorance of people who don't know what they're doing. (Sort of like sex between a priest and a nun, during the Dark Ages.)

Nessa said...

BB: I think you've read your history wrong. Priests and Nuns during the Dark Ages knew exactly what they were doing. Perhaps the only ones who did.

Bert Bananas said...

Yer Nibship, you are undoubtedly correct. I keep giving credit where none is due.