Sunday, August 06, 2006

TRUE STORY, followed by a QUESTION

Murder as a Tort

I played golf with OJ. Really. I was a 'single' one Summer afternoon at the Hansen Dam course, back when it still ended with a par 3. I'd signed up with the starter, and even though I could have gone off alone, I delivered my patented little speech, "Hey, golf is a social game; I'll wait for someone to come along." I was sitting on a bench around the corner from the starter's window. I heard some conversation coming from the starter's window, and then a couple of seconds later this White dude looks around the corner at me, and then pulls back. And then there's some more conversation and then the loud speaker says, "Bananas, check in with the starter." I get up and ambled around the corner and there was OJ, bigger than life, standing with the White dude. I walked up to the window and the starter tells me I can play with Mr. Simpson if I want to. Blase Laztheist that I am, I say "sure." This was just after the civil trial had found him responsible for his ex-wife's bloody demise. I paid and then went back to my bag and then, still ambling, went to the first tee. OJ had to fight his way through a crowd of one adoring fan who wanted his autograph and to feel the thrill of being so close to him.

One of THOSE golfers, OJ asked me if I wanted to play for something. What I might have said was, "if I win, you have to confess." But what I actually said was, "Uh....." A very long "Uh...." He interrupted by G# "Uh..." and asked me what my handicap was. I, like one of THOSE golfers, said I was around an 11. (I was a 6 then.) His response was that he was a 13, but that he'd play me straight up, and "How about a dollar a hole, birdies are double and dollar, dollar, dollar nassau." I did the math and calculated that I had enough to cover my losses if I was totally skunked. Then I okayed the wager. I lost $3. But had I invoked the rules of golf, I would won. Mr. Simpson routinely broke a rule calling for a two stroke penalty upon each occurrence. He would hit a bad shot and then swear at himself, reach into his golf bag, grab a ball and drop it where the ball he's just hit had lain. He'd wack away and say something like, 'that's the way I should have hit it.' In effect, he'd played the wrong ball during the hole, a two-stroke penalty. I didn't call him on it. It was obvious he felt there was nothing wrong with what he was doing. He finished the hole with the original ball, not the "practice" ball. But he had to know he was breaking a rule. But as so many commentators pointed out, he grew up being told repeatedly that he was above rules. And I think he believes it.

I caught a lot of flack from those of my friends who believe in justice and the American Way. They all said I should have turned down the offer to play with OJ, and maybe even spit on him, for Justice's sake. Others, the more cynical, just yawned and wanted to know what kind of clubs he was playing and if he 'sliced.' (Much laughter about OJ 'slicing.")

And so my question: If someone you don't know is accused of killing someone you don't know, and either there's no trial or the jury acquits the supposed killer, should the supposed killer be forever hated and shunned by people who never knew him or the victim? I mean as a general rule.....

10 comments:

Mary Lois said...

This gives me an idea for a blogpost: Rules for Living.

1. Don't hate anybody you don't have to. This includes people who you have heard horrific things about.

2. Don't believe what you hear.

3. Don't repeat things you don't know to be true, or things you do know to be true but can only get in the way of having a good time.

4. Gossip when it's constructive.

5. Lie only when it's necessary.

6. Don't murder your wife.

7. If someone you don't know is accused of murdering his wife, play golf with him only for the purpose of saying you did so. Then be sure that everybody knows he was a cheat at golf.

So far, it looks to me like you've done the right thing on all counts. Congratulations! You win the Rules for Living Contest. I'll tell you what your prize is when I can figure that one out.

Benedict S. said...

Bananas: This lady once gave me three -- not seven -- rules for living. They have led me into the valley of the shadow of illogic just as surely as those seven will lead you. Which translates to, "you gonna have a helluva fun round." For 25 cents and two box tops. I'll tell you the rules, but odds are, the lady remembers them and will post them here. I'll let you know if she got 'em right. But hey, they were her rules.

Bert Bananas said...

Ben, what is it with Women and Rules!!??

And if I can't say any ol' damn thing I want to, is it really a blog?

I shall count myself blessed that I got four more rules than you did, and you can count yourself blessed that you got four less. In a relativistic universe, we could both be right.

Mary Lois said...

Mr. Bananas, if I read you right, which I probably didn't you asked for a rule or two. I've always got a few in my pocket, I guess my Mama gave 'em to me along with some mad money for difficult situations.

I don't remember any particular three I would have told benedict, since I was only 17 and surely hadn't formulated much, at least from life experience -- but, if I told him three I'll bet the only one that worked was "Laugh as much as you can."

Bert Bananas said...

Fair Hope, I did use the phrase, "as a general rule." And I got SEVEN! You are generosity², maybe even generosity³! (Gosh, I hope the square and cubed thingies are legible!)

Nessa said...

Wow, how is a person to hate a stranger in peace if you throw in all these philosphical and moral questions. Now I have to think of OJ as a person with rights and feelings.

Bert Bananas said...

Pish-posh, your Nibship! You do not! Where does it say you do? The man cheats at golf, afterall !!!

Are there many Nibshipmen in your life? You don't really have to answer; I just like playing with words.

Nessa said...

BB: Thanks. I like to hate without reason. It's so much easier on the brain.

There's a Nipster and a Nibble.

Mary Lois said...

I still don't know how you did the squared and cubed thingies.

Bert Bananas said...

Fair Hope, I'm at a loss on how to do it on my Mac mini. But at the office, on a Windows machine it's a snap:

click on start, click on all programs, click on accessories, click on system tools, and finally, click on character map. All shall then be revealed.

Possible Mystery Reader, if you know how to do this on a Mac, please respond in kind