Friday, May 23, 2008

What if Monica Lewinski had had a boy friend?

I'm reading a book I bought for 50¢ at the local library. (Buying cheap books at the library saves me from having to pay late fees. Clever, aren't I?) The basic premise is that an idealistic young couple meet while working on a presidential campaign. They fall in love. Their candidate wins!! They get jobs in the new administration. His job is as a speech writer. Her job is in the social office. He gets 'face time' with the President, she doesn't. The POTUS doesn't even really know she exists...

Until he gets invited to a White House function and she goes with him. By this time they've bought a condo together and are madly and satisfyingly in love. At the WH function, the POTUS gets an eyeful of the young lady and his alpha male testosterone kicks in and his flirtation quickly leads to sex with her. The young man is clueless for a couple of months and then finally it all falls into place and know he knows why he hasn't been able to get hats to fit on his head.

I reached this part of the book just one-third of the way in. And I'm wondering why there's so much more to read, unless it's all about his revenge. Not that I'm a fan of revenge when it comes to losing at love. But I understand it happens.

Nope, it's not about revenge. It's about what happens as the guy tries to live with the fact that his boss is screwing his girlfriend! So I ask my wife, "If I were working for the POTUS and we were at a social function and the POTUS hit on you, would you wind up sleeping with him?" She said no. Then I asked, "If you did sleep with him, what would you expect me to do if I found out?" She says, "You'd leave me and tell me not to expect a letter of recommendation."

So I threw the book across the room in the vague direction of a waste basket.

See, my wife and I know the truth about love: "Even though you could probably do better, the time comes to settle."

Alpha males have to boink to prove they're alpha males. I don't know what to call the females who are sought after and yield to the alpha males, I mean besides the obvious, 'good looking.' Poor things...

But you do see the problem that the fictional boy friend of Monica Lewinski would have had, right? I'm going to finish the book to see how the author handles it. But I'm sure it's nothing like the way I would have handled it.

4 comments:

katrocket said...

Once again, your wife proves to be my hero with a line like "You'd leave me and tell me not to expect a letter of recommendation."

Did you ask her if she'd sleep with the POTUS if the POTUS was George Clooney instead of George Bush? That would certainly change my answer.

Bert Bananas said...

Kat, she says she can't remember all that well what she was like when she was 25, so she can say right now that she'd tell George Clooney no, she can't respond for the 25 year old her.

Leonesse said...

Liz Bananas for the win, AGAIN!

paperback reader said...

I think dating is like being Tommy Lee Jones in "No Country For Old Men" : you fight the good fight, but eventually, you just get tired.