Tuesday, May 20, 2008

62% of a sampling of British adults (which means no soccer fans were polled) say that God, or as those in the know call ‘it,’ Ghawd, is a male.

I have never read any religious tracts on just how male Ghawd is. If people were to work with the image gained from the Old Testament, I would have to suppose that that particular male image would be a total stud, a headliner with television wrestling. What a voice that dude would have! God Smack...

The image called up by the New Testament Ghawd, the J-man, might have fit in with the Friends ensemble, or maybe, if His jewishness were not hidden, He could have been Kramer’s roommate on Seinfeld.

If the British sampling were Muslims, I don't think we'd see or hear much of that Ghawd. He’d be all kurta shirted and dishdashaed, with a big Saudi egal and He’d be busy praising Himself, “Me-akbar, Me-akbar!” Plus He'd drink when He visited the Continent...

Here, as a public service, I've illustrated three popular items of Muslim attire. I'm only sorry that I can't tell you for sure that any of these are made from muslin.

I've seen, and admired, the dishdasha and the kurta shirt on one of my favorite tv shows, Aliens in America. If I thought I could golf in them, I'd get me some. But all the places I play require collared shirts. As if Jesus, at the 2nd Coming, is going to be wearing a collared shirt. He is more likely to be outfitted in a chic salwar kameez!

I’ve never thought about Ghawd's body type, because ‘what if…?’ has never been a game I enjoyed playing. But if we're going to play that game and say that Ghawd is a male, made in the human format, the question soon arises, how long could He keep it up? I asked my wife this question and she got a big smile on her face and said, “For all eternity!!” So I may have inadvertently given her a reason to start going to church. Those interested in Salvation will seek it in their own ways and for their own reasons.

4 comments:

Leonesse said...

Liz Bananas for the Win! And a 'big' Amen to that!

Leonesse said...

Oh, and I just caught that show the last two weeks and must say I kinda like it.

paperback reader said...

I can't imagine wanting to do anything for eternity. I'd be happy if I could hit thirty seconds.

Ah, who am I kidding, it'd just end the same way for me.

katrocket said...

Thanks for enlightening us with the terminology of Muslim fashion. I really love the word "dishdasha"!