Saturday, February 09, 2008

YouTube and Culture

I didn't know that you could find EVERYTHING on YouTube. I'm sure you can understand how I was of the notion that YouTube was just about emerging pop culture iconism.

But it's not. As I type this I am listening Herbert Von Karajan conducting Beethoven's Symphony No. 6 In F Major. That's the Pastoral, the one featured in Fantasia. If I typr= wign ny eues colsnotd I cqn see rhe wigned h[infes flyinbg about! Cppol!

Anyway, I am now a YouTube junkie. I've listed to the the last two-thirds of the 9th Symphony and all of the 5th, and last night I found a student orchestra delivering of themselves a very credible Tchaikovsky's Capriccio Italienne. That's his opus 98, for those of you keeping score.

And if you promise not to tell anyone, I also listened/watched Peter Cetera doing The Glory of Love, which I will one day learn on the guitar and sing to my wife when she least expects it.

And I listened to Heart and to Richard Pryor and Shania Twain and Reba McIntyre and Dusty Springfield (You don't own me) and I'll keep on searching through the debris of my youth, kicking about among the flotsam and jetsam that keeps washing ashore...

You know how when you went to visit your grandmother in the old folks and all those geezers were just sitting around doing nothing but looking for someone to grab a hold of so they could tell you what they did at the Chicago World's Fair? Well, we, in our old age, won't be doing that. We'll be in our wheel chairs with a laptop and earphones, reliving our lives on YouTube. Go, us!

3 comments:

Leonesse said...

Yes, I have a love of YouTube. I have settled and lost a few arguments through the thing!

This was the first:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KC9FtLQJoGM

There are two versions. LK was correct. I just can't find the older one he swore he watched. But he won.

paperback reader said...

I like that all memories now have URLs.

I also like that you remember that Peter Cetera song, because I wrote something about that very tune to be posted soon.

T said...

Nary a reference to Slipknot... -Old bastard!