Friday, February 22, 2008

We've done our taxes!

Okay, my wife did our taxes. She used TurboTax, referred to as "the box" in a certain TV commercial. It took her two and a half days. She says we're getting a refund. Mistrusting the beneficence of the American federal government, I'll believe it when I see it. But at least they're done and filed. Which lessens the charges they can lay against me in the future. Naturally if there's anything wrong, I say it was all my wife's doing and testify against her. But on the plus side, I promise to wait for her.

Why can't we find a less burdensome way to pay for the services we receive? If you're Nancy Pelosi, you think the current system is fine, taking from the rich and giving to the poor as it does. But doesn't she see that the money that the poor are given is spent by them for goods and services is the first step of that money's journey back into the wallets of those rich? But maybe there's no way to get around that inevitable cycle.

You know how people obey speed limit laws? Or don't? That's the kind of behavior we need from the American public when it comes to the IRS. A massive popular uprising of non-compliance, with people refusing to pay personal taxes would quickly result in a VAT or a FAIR tax being implemented and hopefully the IRS would turn it's enormous power towards policing manufacturers and sellers instead of individuals.

But hey, for this year I'm cool with the status quo.

2 comments:

Leonesse said...

Amen, Father Lazthiest.

We are attempting the same today. I may need a nice glass of wine and some soft music to set the mood. A girl should have some standards before getting screwed.

Jana said...

I don't think an uprising would work, but the idea is nice. The feds would simply take all that "free" money out of the hands of the poor, put it into the IRS's hands, and allow them free reign to take our homes, lands and bank accounts. I agree completely with a VAT or FAIR tax program, but since Hillary, Barak and McCain only want to further their own interests and care not a spot for the little poor people, we won't see anything like it. Looking forward to $4 gas?? Yep - me too. I already shined up my bicycle and am trying to figure out how to tie on the vacuum cleaner so I can get to work on it...sigh.