Sunday, February 17, 2008

I was talking to a guy the other day...

and we went on and on about life itsownself, but when we were finished, I realized that at least on my part, I hadn't really said anything. I was just blathering. Something we are all forced to do way to much in life: pretend to communicate. Mostly this pretending goes on when we know the guy isn't worth listening to or the woman isn't going to sleep with us for free.

Because humans use 'language' and 'language' is inexact and slippery, humans can't really communicate. Everyone thinks he can communicate, but no one really can. Sometimes we get darn close to it, but it's almost always an accident.

People who insist on precision in their use of words, and who use techniques to try to ensure that correct communication has taken place are almost universally shunned. Plus whether they are or not, the males who do this are always thought to be gay. And while I'm thinking about it, I can't ever remember meeting or hearing about a woman who strove to be precise in her communication efforts. At least in any situation that doesn't involve her explaining what she "wants."

And so we come to another difference between the sexes: Women want things; Men want to do things. How we all try to achieve our disparate goals is what Hollywood calls entertainment. But for us ordinary Joes and Janes, we are like the blind leading the double life of a secret agent who thinks he can see, but forgot his glasses. The fact that you finished that sentence and didn't hurl your breakfast proves my point: you're not listening to me. I should have listened to my mother and become an accountant.

3 comments:

Leonesse said...

It's very easy, Bert.

I want a feast
I want a bean feast
Cream buns and doughnuts and fruitcake with no nuts so good you could go nuts.
No, now!
I want a ball
I want a party
Pink macaroons and a million balloons and performing baboons and
Give it to me now.
I want the world,
I want the whole world.
I want to lock it all up in my pocket
It's my bar of chocolate
Give it to me now!
I want today
I want tomorrow
I want to wear them like braids in my hair and I don't want to share them
I want a party with roomfuls of laughter
Ten thousand ton of ice cream
And if I don't get the things I am after
I'm going to scream!
I want the works,
I want the whole works!
Presents and prizes and sweets and surprises in all shapes and sizes,
And now!
Don't care how I want it now!
Don't care how I want it now!.

Is that precise enough?

paperback reader said...

At least we're all ignoring each other equally.

Mary Lois said...

Is this supposed to mean something?