Sunday, February 17, 2008

Terror in Lower Manhattan!

First, the story EXACTLY as it appears on Fox News:

Police say a Parks Department employee took his city-issued golf cart on a rampage, running over and killing five birds in a public park.

Police say they arrested the 45-year-old employee Friday evening after receiving complaints that he was driving erratically in the park in Lower Manhattan. He faces charges of reckless endangerment and intentional injury to an animal.

Three pigeons and two sea gulls were killed.

I did some digging to get to the story behind the story. That is, after I had my mourning coffee; it was a somber breakfast, knowing the world was a poorer place, what with five birds taken in the prime of their lives.

I learned that the pigeons were members of a Bronx gang, Las Mierdas, and had been taunting employees of the Parks Department.

But the sea gulls just happened to be in the wrong place at the wrong time. But isn't that a necessary ingredient when it comes to senseless tragedy? It all could have been avoided if anyone, be he man or bird, who wants to can drive a vehicle could do so, instead of just people who are "licensed." Yeah, like not having a license stops criminals from getting behind the wheel.

I just know that if those sea gulls had had their own cars, they'd be alive today. Food for thoughts, people, food for thought...

4 comments:

katrocket said...

I predicted several years ago that birdcenaries were developing WMDs (Weapons of Minor Destruction) that would shock the world. I could never have guessed they would be golf carts.

Leonesse said...

Reckless endangerment? How many snotty kids did he have to avoid to nail them bastards? Collateral damage, I say.

The Guv'ner said...

Actually, that was me. I live in Lower Manhattan, you'd think you'd have at least guessed. I was in my "45 year old man" disguise and in a bit of a foul (no pun intended!) mood. Sorry birds, but you've shit on my head once too often.

paperback reader said...

If you can't get out of the way of a golf cart, do you deserve to live?