Tuesday, July 18, 2006

All about Nothing

A tour of where I go when I have no place to go...

Putting one foot in front of the other, or on the gas and then the brake, I go through life never getting very far from where I started.

There are tables you can consult in old books and your nearest major library that show, conclusively, that in the 13th Century the serfs of Western Europe, or at least 94% of them, never traveled farther than a day's journey from the spot they were born. And a day's travel, 800 years ago, amounted to perhaps six to ten miles, if the weather was agreeable.

So in the past 20 years I have traveled back in time 800 years. In the sense that I haven't been farther than a day's travel from my bedroom. And like my Serfing Safari compatriots must have felt, it doesn't bother me. After all, no matter how far I go, I'm still there, at the center of the universe. As far as the eye can see, no matter where I am, the universe continues to revolve, sedately, around me.

I don't get, nor do I miss, Frequent Flyer miles.

2 comments:

ArtieLange said...

Hey Bert. This blog is good! More Christian Whore stories, please.

I've never been with a christian whore, but I did fool around with a woman nicknames the Eve of Destruction. Given, that is a biblical name, I hope we could see our common bonds.

Interestingly, Eve lost her sence of taste and smell in a skiing accident. So, yes, she literally knocked her self senseless.

No, I couldn't use that fact to my advantage. Though, I tried.

Bert Bananas said...

Artie, your perspicacity is much appreciated; there IS hope for the future.

I got confused in your Eve of Destruction story: You couldn't take advantage of the fact that she'd lost all her taste? I was lucky enough, myself, to find a woman with no taste, so things are good for me in that department.