Friday, June 02, 2006

Katie Couric for a Day!!

If you could be Katie Couric for a day, when it's a day after she starts reading the evening news to those who like perky stuff, you would earn $41,096 for that day. Except during leap years, when your daily dole would drop to $40,984.

Katie is worth every penny. This can be proven by simply noting that it's what CBS is paying her. Case closed on that issue.

Ever think about where the money comes from? CBS has to accumulate the money somewhere, and they have to take in a WHOLE lot more than $41,096 every day. How much more would probably blow my exhaust manifold...

How much of it comes out of your pocket? I can safely assure you that very little of it comes out of my pocket. I don't watch CBS except for golf. I'm glued to the set during the Masters weekend. But I haven't bought a Buick, a Cadillac or invested one dime in any of the acronym money handlers who advertise during golf presentations. I'm playing with a set of 1988 Hogan irons I got on Ebay and my driver and utility woods are all second hand. I don't drink beer, except for that admittedly cheap swill that Costco sells by the 36 pack, Sharps. (It's not even beer; beer soda is what it really is.)

Luckily for us human beings, wild preposterous facts and events like being paid $41,096 to sit at a desk and read a teleprompter, don't boggle our minds. We can handle these vagaries of existence. But I am serious when I say that I take pride in getting my news not from Katie, but from a number of disparate websites. I pick and chose what to read, following up on some trails, stopping and retreating on others. I do NOT sit and stare at a perky White girl trying to sound like she cares. If you get off on that, tear up any party invitations you might get from me; you won't have a good time. Better you should sit home and think perky.

No comments: