Sunday, April 30, 2006

Holy Existentialism

A Philosophy for the alienated faint of heart

EXISTENTIALISM: A 20th century philosophy that emphasizes the uniqueness and isolation of the individual experience in a hostile or indifferent universe, regards human existence as unexplainable, and stresses freedom of choice and responsibility for the consequences of one's acts.

HOLY EXISTENTIALISM: A 21st century philosophy that emphasizes the uniqueness and isolation of the individual experience in religion, regards human existence as being the entire raison d'etre of the universe, and stresses freedom of choice and a total lack of responsibility for the consequences of one's acts as long as one believes there's a Higher Power who forgives you.

Having kept my wits about me during my haphazard progress through the years of my life, I am keenly aware that to be normal is to believe one is special. And being "special" creates such a LOAD of responsibilities! Most "special" people feel an obligation to bathe daily and brush and floss their teeth with metronomic regularity! What's that all about?

Think about this: people born before 1930 didn't begin to bathe regularly until the late 1950s! We in America have about 56 years of daily batheing. And there are still probably 35% of the American population who don't bathe daily! And when you get beyond our borders, how high do you think that percentage shoots up?

My point? I don't have a point. As a Holy Existentialist, all I have to have is a personal Savior and no matter how alone and/or isolated I am, I've got a Friend...

No comments: