Tuesday, June 13, 2006

Regrets? I've had my share . . .

Nobody Gets a Free Pass

You know how you're sitting there, avoiding work, and suddenly you're day dreaming? Well, I can't share the day dreams, but I can tell you about a secondary thought that came in on the heels of a day dream. The secondary thought was, "...what would you do if you had a fatal illness and were told you only had a short time left to live?"

One response clings to me: So what? No matter how old you are, you don't really know how long you're going to be alive. Just because some doctor says "you won't see Christmas" doesn't mean you know exactly when you're going to die.

But I digress... One thing about being told you're about to die is that people will walk up to you and express sympathy. If you give them a chance, they'll sure ask, "With your death eminment, do you have any regrets?"

But heck! Who doesn't have regrets? See? There is no one who isn't harboring a regret or two. No matter how great you think you have it, you have regrets.

So anyway, go easy on the sympathy. Weak people, people with no ambition, maybe they need it. But you probably don't do well with sympathy. Give me a laugh anytime. Even when I'm dying.

No comments: