Wednesday, December 13, 2006

Wouldn't it be Great if Self-Mortification Worked?

I missed all the Lupe Parties here in SoCal yesterday. I feel bad about it. And luckily, there's something I can do about it. I can wear sack cloth and ashes for an hour or so and thus make it up to her.

"Her" is Lupe. December 12th is her day. Her full name is La Virgen de Guadalupe, but those closest to her call her Lupe. I first learned about her when I was "traveling" in Mexico for a Church which shall remain nameless. I was using an alias, a totally phony name, so as to protect the innocent. Back then I would only answer to the name, Elder Bananas.

So the first year that I was there on Dec. 12, I happened to be carousing in Mexico City with another guy named Elder. It was his second Dec. 12th and he knew where the action was. So we took a cab out to this cathedral and got some decent grandstand seats and bet on the races. The contestants on whose performances we were wagering matchsticks were penitent Lupe-ites who were on the last leg of a miles long journey from the starting line to the cathedral. And they were traveling the many miles on hands and knees. So the object was to pick out two penitents and then bet on which one would reach a certain point before the other.

The game for the Lupe-ites was to gain forgiveness by this particular painful display of devotion. Lupe would see the pain you were in and intercede with her Boss to get x number of sins expiated. Not a bad deal when you think about it. I wish we'd had digital cameras back then. I only had one roll of film with me and I didn't really get any great shots.

Any way, you Lupe-ites out there, I hope you had a fine Lupe Day yesterday.

4 comments:

Nessa said...

That's pronounced "loopy" right?

Anonymous said...

Dang, I knew I forgot something. I miss the ol' Lupe family traditions we had growing up.

Bert Bananas said...

spot on, Ms. Nibbles.

Mrs. Hog, can't you rekindle those traditional fires within the bosom of your own 'nucular' family?

Mary Lois said...

Bert, thanks for your generous offer of wireless usage. I was planning to try out the laptop in Starbucks tomorrow.

Only thing is I don't have an email address for you and can't find one here. Click on my profile and it will lead you to my email address and you can email the account # to me. Thanks!

What a day I've had today. Plan to post about it tomorrow.