Friday, December 22, 2006

What Did you Get Jesus for his Birthday?

While you may think this an impertinent question (and of course it is!), it still does have some merit, if only to point out to all my Christian homies that Jesus is the reason for the season. It also serves to, again, point out the role that 'advertising' has in our culture. There wouldn't be "Happy Holidays!" without advertising.

I'd tell you what I got Jesus for His birthday, but He reads my blog and I don't want to spoil the surprise. If you do mention here what you got Him, use an alias, so He doesn't know it's you.

Speaking of advertising, religion has been advertising a lot longer than national cultures have even been aware of advertising. Americans like to think that we invented advertising. And we certainly did a lot to perfect and popularize it's use. We're the one who invented "FREE!!" when everyone knows that there is no such thing... Advertising only really works when you have "sheep" to advertise to. So perhaps our early national leadership in advertising had to do with the number of prosperous sheep our culture was creating. And now China and India are on a path to overtake us in this creation of sheep with disposable income. If only those markets are opened up to us!

Happy Birthday, Jesus!

9 comments:

freethoughtguy said...

The WINTER SOLSTICE is much older than Christianity, and it is the REAL Reason for the Season.

Winter Solstice Greetings from San Francisco!

Bert Bananas said...

Isn't the Winter Solstice as old as the sun?

As a golfer, the shortest day of the year in the Northern Hemisphere, is a very special day. It's the worst of all possible golfing days because it has the least amount of daylight. But it means that from that day forward (until June 21st) each day is a better and better golfing day. So the notion of the world being "reborn," or at least rejuvenated, on 12-21 really does have meaning to me.

Hey, my youngest son will be starting Cal State SF next Fall. Got any advice for him? He's a rural SoCal boy so has seen pictures of the big city, but doesn't really know what it's all about.

Sonya said...

I'm getting Jesus a "Don't Blame Me, I Voted for Nader" bumper sticker, along with a "Touch Not My Genitals" decal.

Bert Bananas said...

Genitalia is the reason for the season! Does Genitalia ever accept the blame?

Nessa said...

Merry Christmas, Bertie Botts, and the best of wishes for a healthy, happy New Year.

Speaking of excessive advertising: I have been seeing an abundance of Christian Christmas advertising which is getting on my nerves. Bumper stickers, yard signs, TV commercials, all telling me to Keep Christ in Christmas and Jesus is the reason for the Season. Why does this make me feel dirty?

I'm going to start celebrating Jesus' birthday on April 18th.

Bert Bananas said...

Wow, Ms. Nibbles! You are so close! According to a renowned source, J.C. was born on April 6. Please he, the renowned source, also told us where the Garden of Eden was. I'd tell you, but then I'd have to baptize you...

Nessa said...

April 6 is my father's birthday. Is he J.C.? Ow, I was just struck by lightening.

ArtieLange said...

Hey Bert,

Thanks for the tie and the Girls Gone Wild CD. I am, however, the Son of God and have x-ray vision. Thus the latter gift, while great, is really not needed. Seeing 21-year old boobies and getting coeds to kiss is no problem.

Good luck to your son at Cal SF. If he decides to transfer to Notre Dame, let me know. I think my recomendation might help.

Love,
Jesus
(And love Jesus. I command you)

Bert Bananas said...

Artie, good to hear from You again! I'mn typing down on one knee...