Thursday, June 26, 2008

Why do you Blog?

I've been asked this question, as a theoretical construct, by people who have never read a blog, as well as by people who have read my blog and are asking a serious question. To all and sudry (now there's a folk rock duo or website name, Hall & Sundry) I give the same answer: if you can't mop the heat on the kitchen floor, stay out of my bedroom! And I'm serious!!

Okay, but honestly, you know why I blog? It's my way of spitting at the raging forest fire that is the insignificance of my life. Yes, yes, I know how important you think your life is, but you're allowing pop culture to manipulate you. Back in the 1300s serfs really appreciated the insignificance of their lives. They didn't have Social Security numbers, no one sent them things in the mail or asked for their opinions. None of them really even had last names or were anyone's Christmas list. Sure, son of Robert at some point in the late 1500s became Robertson, but there were just as many Alf the pimple-faceds as there were Alf the anvil makers. When a serf died, his liege didn't ask for his name; the only concern was, who is going to pick up his slack? (And when did picking up my slack at the dry cleaners become a plural?)

I realize that to my wife and kids and dog, I have some significance. With the former two, money figures substantially in that significance. My dog doesn't care about my money, but it's probably only a matter of a few decades before we have house pets who can do simple math. But to 99.9999999999999% of the 6.5 billion Homo Sapiens on the earth, I don't matter. I am completely insignificant. I occupy in their hearts the very same expanse that the ants they stepped on this morning occupy. Maybe even less, if the ant bit them before dying. (Not even being accurate in my number/verb form construct makes me any more significant...)

Very few humans take the time and trouble to contemplate how little they matter. So hopefully in raising this issuse of how you totally don't matter at all, it will make me matter just infinitesimally that much more, as in zero x any number is still zero. I'll take it wherever I can get it, because like good spermatoza, there are times my insignificance simply isn't an issue.

2 comments:

paperback reader said...

I also blog to be less insignificant, ideally to the single 20something female of my species.

katrocket said...

You have become significant to me, in that I am interested in your perspective on life, and also your geenral happiness and well-being. You may not deeply influence my daily actions, but you certainly make my leisure time more enjoyable.

One could argue that if you didn't have a blog, you would not exist to me.