Thursday, March 27, 2008

Politics as Boose-ual

The title has little to do with this post. I simply cannot refrain from playing with words. Although the "politics" part was sort of on target.

I am not rabid about politics. You could count in one jock strap what I am rabid about, and the way I do it, politics is not involved.

So here's the deal: I am a Republican. Old school. I wouldn't let George Bush be in my party. I mention this when the RNC people call my wife for donations. Which only means that I'm rabid about not spending money, not that my philosophical differences with the current administration bother me.

One of the best friends (I've never met) in the world is a Democrat. She's gone closing in on eight years now without a Democrat in the White House. Six months ago she was CERTAIN that there would be a Democrat in the White House come January 2009. And it wouldn't have bothered me, because if that's what it took to make her happy, then I was ready to hand her the election.

But now she's written a letter to Hillary Clinton, suggesting to Hillary that unless Hillary bows out of the race RIGHT NOW, things may go so horribly wrong that McCain will dodder to a photo-finish against whomever finally does emerge with the Democratic nomination.

There's a lot of merit to that concern. The Obama-Clinton fracas may polarize the adherents to each side so severely that the losing side in that fight may either refuse to vote, or vote for McCain or Ralph Nader/Nadir. And we get 2.6 years of President McCain, and 1.4 years of whomever his Vice-President is, when McCain is finely diagnosed as suffering from senile dementia.

But it won't matter because my friend will be unhappy starting in November. And because I won't be unhappy if a Democrat does wins the Presidency, I would like to help my friend out. So if any of you have any pull with the DNC, please see what you can do about making Clinton & Obama IMMEDIATELY agree to a Clinton/Obama ticket. If the two of them announced this tomorrow morning on the Regis and blonde girl with tits show, my friend would have a chance at happiness. And the Democrats might be looking at 16 years of White House occupancy.

Thank you.

1 comment:

Sonya said...

Bert, I have my fingers crossed for good luck!