Monday, March 24, 2008

A Challenge, of sorts

Critics of the Bert Bananas’ way of looking at life are legion. Some are legionnaires.

By far the biggest criticism recently is, “Why do you play Pandora so freakin’ loud, dude?” To these critics, I take the Family Guy path and respond, “Because I can, Lois, because I can…”

But the most galling criticism, and the main point of this post, has to do with those critics who tell me that Laztheism is an empty vessel that results in a lack of a believed purpose to life, which has to leave me with no appreciation for life and living. They say, “Dude, if life has no purpose, why bother being alive?” Of course they’re eyeing my Blackberry, my hot, hot motor vehicle, and the other accouterments of hip-ness I’ve accumulated while they’re saying this, perhaps hoping I’ll commit suicide on the spot and they can, with faith in a purpose to life, take them.

I submit that people who need to find ‘purpose’ to life are flawed human beings. My first presentation to support this tenet would be children between the ages of 4 and 7. ‘Nuf said, right? Kids are proof positive that all the purpose life needs is found in figuring things out. At some point most of us stop trying to figure things out. The majority because of a combination of thinking we figured out enough to get by and being too busy to do any further exploring.

If someone were to suggest to you that you need to explore the facts behind what you accept as “true,” 98.27745% of you would smile knowingly and respond that there’s no need, because you ‘know’ it’s all true. So how about this, if the Cubs win the World Series, which everyone ‘knows’ they never can, you have to explore to its very foundation your belief that being beautiful makes a woman good.

2 comments:

katrocket said...

I like that last sentence - you have made a lot of excellent points. Too bad you're right about people being too busy or too arrogant to look any further than what they "know".

paperback reader said...

You are the hippest Mormon I know.