Sunday, March 23, 2008

He is Risen!

Although this was the basic theme of our honeymoon, I shan't visit that theme infra.

Yesterday late afternoon, on my way to poker (6:00 p.m. to 11:00 p.m. every other Saturday, with frequent bathroom breaks; yes, that's what getting old is all about, along with sensible shoes), I was listening to Wayne Resnick on KFI. He was gloating over the fact that as a non-observant Jew he finds being alive both endearing and rewarding. And because it was the eve of a very important Christian anniversary, and he wanted some listener response to prove that someone out there was listening to him, he asked devout, knowledgeable Christians to call him, because the theme of the hour was, "Answer the Jew's Questions about the Resurrection!"

Almost a contest, but not quite, because how would he know if the answers he was getting were true? After all, without Faith, religions are nothing more than fairy tales with a promised happy ending. (But when you consider that mainline Christianity says there's no sex in heaven, how can you use the term "happy ending"?)

I didn't get to listen to much of the conversation between Mr. Resnick and his devout Christian apologists. But one caller garnered my respect when, to one tricky metaphysically complicated question about the timing and sequence of events regarding the stone being rolled away from the tomb, the caller's answers was, "Whoa, dude, we're talking about Ghawd here!"

To those of you with Faith about a Resurrection, Heaven and Eternal Life, enjoy the day!

And fret not about me, I have my enduring faith in the cold, uncaring, non-favoriing Universe to comfort me.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

More importantly - DID YOU WIN?

Bert Bananas said...

Yes, but it doesn't take much. See, we pay $5 for dinner, plus a $20 buy in. (We supply our own drinks.) There are frequent eating & burping breaks. If I paid full price in a restaurant for what eat, it would be around $15, so already I'm a winner. When I cashed in, I got $23.50, so indeedily-do, I was a winner.